• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wealthy in-laws and a wife's rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Novalee

South Carolina

My sister has been married for ten years. Her in laws are wealthy and have supported her, her husband and their ten year old son for most of their marriage. The husband has no assets, receives food stamps and Medicaid. They have no assets in their names, their house and car were bought outright and are in the parents names. Their bills are paid a year in advance and medical bills, medications are funded by the parents of her husband.
If they get divorced can she receive spousal/child support from his parents? My sister and get husband have no savings, no checking account, no credit cards.

HomeGuru

South Carolina

My sister has been married for ten years. Her in laws are wealthy and have supported her, her husband and their ten year old son for most of their marriage. The husband has no assets, receives food stamps and Medicaid. They have no assets in their names, their house and car were bought outright and are in the parents names. Their bills are paid a year in advance and medical bills, medications are funded by the parents of her husband.
If they get divorced can she receive spousal/child support from his parents? My sister and get husband have no savings, no checking account, no credit cards.
**A: does her husband work or have other income?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
South Carolina

Only if your sister was married to and/or impregnated by the in-laws.

Seriously, they have no legal obligation to support your sister or her husband, OR the grandkids.

Novalee

He does not work.
If she files for spousal support/ child support how would they arrive at an amount since he has not worked in years? Is there a base rate?

His parents were very smart because in his first divorce they had bought him a house and vehicles and out them in his name-the ex wife received a large settlement. Now nothing is in his name.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Your sister is entitled to NOTHING that belongs to the parents. If neither party works, then it can boil down to both parents being imputed minimum wage and support based off that. She can kiss spousal support good bye.

Novalee

They live in a home, purchased by his parents-but was put in their sons name. What happens with the home?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
South Carolina

Heck to the no! Your sister leeched off her in-laws for ten years! What more does she think she's entitled to? How about she gets a job?

nextwife

And the reason sis is unwilling to work all these years, but instead have her inlaws support her, and the kids she is producing, is what? If they are both able bodied, why are they getting food stamps instead of working?

Novalee

He's I'll and says he's unable to work. She has held several jobs as a nurse, but due to his health she was unable to keep a steady schedule with his dr.s appointments.
The family is absolutely trying to hide assets from the government.

nextwife

He's I'll and says he's unable to work. She has held several jobs as a nurse, but due to his health she was unable to keep a steady schedule with his dr.s appointments.

Assets that belong to ANYONE other than she and hubby are none of her business.

nextwife

He is unable to drive?

So, instead of spending 20-50 bucks here and there for a cab, as needed, to get him to an appointment when he needs, and getting a full time income, benfits, social security credits, and some retirement savings, she simply did not work? Wouldn't the in laws rather have helped with an occassional ride or cab fare, than fully support all of them?

Bali Hai

She might end up paying him alimony.

tuffbrk

Or couldn't they have scheduled his appointments around her work schedule? Or couldn't she have used a vacation day or sick day of her own here and there? That's a really weak excuse to not work.

Bali called it on this one - Sis may very well be required to provide support to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">