• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I entitled to if I get a divorce? New to this..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennifer3110

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi all. Well Im new here. I would just like to try to get some info to what I would be entitled to in a divorce. My husband and I have been married for 11 years and we have 2 kids. He is in the military. I am currently not working. Anyway I know my kids would probably still have the military insurance if we got divorced , but what else would we be entitled to? I just am not sure how this all works and could really use some advice. I definitely plan on getting a job , but I know things would still be tough being a single mom. I appreciate any advice!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi all. Well Im new here. I would just like to try to get some info to what I would be entitled to in a divorce. My husband and I have been married for 11 years and we have 2 kids. He is in the military. I am currently not working. Anyway I know my kids would probably still have the military insurance if we got divorced , but what else would we be entitled to? I just am not sure how this all works and could really use some advice. I definitely plan on getting a job , but I know things would still be tough being a single mom. I appreciate any advice!!
Military insurance coverage for the children and child support based on state guidelines, plus 1/2 of the marital assets (with responsibility for 1/2 of the marital debts) is the most that you could receive.

If he is career military, and those 11 years (or at least 10 of them) coincided with years in the military, then you would also be entitled to an eventual share in his military pension.

You need to be finding a job, asap.

Radia

There is no time limit to be entitled to a share of his retirement... 10 year applies to the military finance and accounting service being willing to cut you a check and pay you (recognizing you). A court can still order you to receive a portion of it but the checks will have to come from him.

jennifer3110

thanks for the advice.. Ldij, what do marital assets usually include ?

I do need to get a job, but if we did end up separating/divorcing, I would be moving to another state (where Im originally from) so I would probably be getting the job there most likely...

LdiJ

I do need to get a job, but if we did end up separating/divorcing, I would be moving to another state (where Im originally from) so I would probably be getting the job there most likely...
Usually they include home equity that accrued during the marriage, retirement assets that accrued during the marriage, any funds in bank accounts or brokerage accounts that accrued during the marriage, vehicles purchased during the marriage, home furnishings etc.

Silverplum

Relocating with the children is a whole 'nother kettle of legal fish. If Dad plans to stay in the military and is deployable, you'd have an excellent shot at relocating with children. If he's planning on staying in the area for a while or leaving the military, however, you might have a fight on your hands.

meanyjack

thanks for all the info

silverplum, he will be in the military for at least 6 more years I believe...
You "believe"? He's given slightly more legal protections because he is in the military. And those are in place to prevent parents like you from taking advantage of him being away for an extended period of time. I highly recommend discussing this factor during your divorce stuff and working it in.

jennifer3110

thanks 'meanyjack'... I appreciate the "parents like you" comment. I am just trying to look out for my kids, and you know nothing about our situation. I didnt think I would get a response like that just looking for some legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">