• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do? Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fightergirl

What is the name of your state?

CA

MY ex and I have been divorced for 3 years and had been married for 10 years. We have two children. We had a marital agreement for child support and spousal support, but he went back in Dec. and got the child support lowered due to a job change in which he was making less. During that hearing, he requested the judge eliminate my spousal support. The spousal was also agreed on by myelf and the ex and according to our marital stipulation agreement, is supposed to continue for 3 more years. The judge told him since he signed the agreement, he wasn't going to touch alimony.

The ex went and filed another OSC with the same request to eliminate spousal using the argument that I have a degree. Even though I'm not working right now, the judge suspended my alimony. The judge went ahead and did this even though in Dec. he said he would NOT touch alimony since my ex signed a marital stipulation, thus making an agreement with me. Even though I brought this to the judge's attention, he would not listen to me. He told me that he must have been wrong if he indeed tell me he wouldn't touch my alimony. He did. What is the clerk that types the notes? Transcriptionist? Whatever her title, wouldn't she have typed up his promise at the OSC in Dec.??

What do I do now, guys? I have been reprsenting myself which was a big mistake as my ex has taken advantage of me at every turn. I was a stay-at-home mom the length of my marriage and the agreed upon alimony was supposed to be my settlement since I didn't get a lump sum. What can I do? The judge did a total 360 degree turn from his ruling in Dec. and it's just not fair. How do I get the judge to honor what he said to me in Dec?:(

I found this online. Does this mean the judge should honor the marital stipulation agreement?

>Modification of Spousal Support Orders: Spousal support awards and agreements are modifiable throughout the support period except as to amounts accrued prior to filing of application for modification and except as otherwise provided by agreement of the parties. However, unlike child support, the court's continuing power to modify spousal support is dependent on the terms of the court's order. Unless jurisdiction to award support has been reserved, postjudgment spousal support is limited by the stated duration of the order. [Ca Fam §§ 3603, 3651(c), 4333, 4335] <

another thing, my ex is supposed to provide medical insurance for the children, which recently became available through his employer. The judge ordered him to add the children on, but he got a child support deduction for providing insurance. Is that right? Our marital stipulation stated he would provide the insurance, but it didn't say he would get to pay less child support.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?

CA

MY ex and I have been divorced for 3 years and had been married for 10 years. We have two children. We had a marital agreement for child support and spousal support, but he went back in Dec. and got the child support lowered due to a job change in which he was making less. During that hearing, he requested the judge eliminate my spousal support. The spousal was also agreed on by myelf and the ex and according to our marital stipulation agreement, is supposed to continue for 3 more years. The judge told him since he signed the agreement, he wasn't going to touch alimony.

The ex went and filed another OSC with the same request to eliminate spousal using the argument that I have a degree. Even though I'm not working right now, the judge suspended my alimony. The judge went ahead and did this even though in Dec. he said he would NOT touch alimony since my ex signed a marital stipulation, thus making an agreement with me. Even though I brought this to the judge's attention, he would not listen to me. He told me that he must have been wrong if he indeed tell me he wouldn't touch my alimony. He did. What is the clerk that types the notes? Transcriptionist? Whatever her title, wouldn't she have typed up his promise at the OSC in Dec.??

What do I do now, guys? I have been reprsenting myself which was a big mistake as my ex has taken advantage of me at every turn. I was a stay-at-home mom the length of my marriage and the agreed upon alimony was supposed to be my settlement since I didn't get a lump sum. What can I do? The judge did a total 360 degree turn from his ruling in Dec. and it's just not fair. How do I get the judge to honor what he said to me in Dec?:(

I found this online. Does this mean the judge should honor the marital stipulation agreement?

>Modification of Spousal Support Orders: Spousal support awards and agreements are modifiable throughout the support period except as to amounts accrued prior to filing of application for modification and except as otherwise provided by agreement of the parties. However, unlike child support, the court's continuing power to modify spousal support is dependent on the terms of the court's order. Unless jurisdiction to award support has been reserved, postjudgment spousal support is limited by the stated duration of the order. [Ca Fam §§ 3603, 3651(c), 4333, 4335] <
What you need to do is get yourself an attorney, ASAP, particularly if the payments were to be in lieu of a property settlement.

fightergirl

There was no property settlement because the ex and I did not buy property together. We had been separated for a year when the divorce was finalized, so I don't know what he bought during that time. I did find out that he has a small 401k. That was not addressed during our marital stipulation and he never told me about it. I know this is an alimony topic, but another question would be is there any way I can get my share of his 401k?

We did not have an attorney and we did not provide disclosure to each other. All our agreements was based off that marital stipulation which we both signed. I had nothing as I was a stay-at-home mom. He was the one who worked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">