• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered "long term" marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York State

The marriage is 7 years old. When the man met the woman, she was on food stamps and had considerable debt-she was about to lose her single-wide trailer & the land it sat on. The man paid off her debts, and his name was added to the deed of the property. She has not worked throughout the entire relationship, she receives compensation due to a work related injury; he has been the only person to pay any of the bills-he money has gone to eating out & pleasure expenses. He bought her a brand new car a couple years ago, and bought a brand new double wide trailer & had that put in this summer (on the property that was formerly hers, now is joint).

He has been slow to realize that this woman has been interested in him solely for the financial gain she could receive from him. She has not included him in any social activities lately-less and less as time goes on. She goes gambling at least every other day-without him. She has been verbally abusive-calling him a "retard" frequently.

While sitting at home alone (again) this man DID create an account on a singles internet sight. He never paid money and could not communicate-but he had a profile & looked at single women on the internet. The woman went on his computer & found out-and now has threatened him that he's going to lose everything. She's going to keep the 100,000 home and the car, and HE is going to pay for it.

Can she do this? The man does not feel like he has any place to go. She has made it clear that he can stay there & continue to pay the bills-but if he leaves she will sue him for as much as she can get out of him. She's printed off copies of his profile on the internet & says that would be grounds for her to be entitled to the alimony.

Does he have any options? Thank you in advance for your advise.

My dad is willing to walk away from the trailer-that was her idea anyway & let her keep the car, however he does not feel he should have to pay alimony. I guess the long and short of my question is can she make him pay alimony? He does not think she can afford the mortgage and the car payment on the little income she does get.

I suggested having them both sell the property & splitting the $$ (if there's anything left) 50/50...would that be feasible?

ceara19

My dad is willing to walk away from the trailer-that was her idea anyway & let her keep the car, however he does not feel he should have to pay alimony. I guess the long and short of my question is can she make him pay alimony? He does not think she can afford the mortgage and the car payment on the little income she does get.

I suggested having them both sell the property & splitting the $$ (if there's anything left) 50/50...would that be feasible?
How long was the marriage and what is his income compared to hers?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York State

The marriage is 7 years old. When the man met the woman, she was on food stamps and had considerable debt-she was about to lose her single-wide trailer & the land it sat on. The man paid off her debts, and his name was added to the deed of the property. She has not worked throughout the entire relationship, she receives compensation due to a work related injury; he has been the only person to pay any of the bills-he money has gone to eating out & pleasure expenses. He bought her a brand new car a couple years ago, and bought a brand new double wide trailer & had that put in this summer (on the property that was formerly hers, now is joint).

He has been slow to realize that this woman has been interested in him solely for the financial gain she could receive from him. She has not included him in any social activities lately-less and less as time goes on. She goes gambling at least every other day-without him. She has been verbally abusive-calling him a "retard" frequently.

While sitting at home alone (again) this man DID create an account on a singles internet sight. He never paid money and could not communicate-but he had a profile & looked at single women on the internet. The woman went on his computer & found out-and now has threatened him that he's going to lose everything. She's going to keep the 100,000 home and the car, and HE is going to pay for it.

Can she do this? The man does not feel like he has any place to go. She has made it clear that he can stay there & continue to pay the bills-but if he leaves she will sue him for as much as she can get out of him. She's printed off copies of his profile on the internet & says that would be grounds for her to be entitled to the alimony.

Does he have any options? Thank you in advance for your advise.
It really would be in your father's best interest to get himself a consult with a local attorney ASAP.

ceara19

The marriage is 7 years old. His income is roughly $3,000/month, hers is approximately $1,000/month.
There is always the possibility that one party will have to pay alimony. A 7 year marriage really isn't that long. He may want to offer a little short term alimony if he doesn't want to take his chances with the Judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">