• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the definition of cohabitation in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpmontano1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Los Angeles California. I have been divorced for about 7 months. My ex spends several nights with her boyfriend whom she had an affair with. I have a cohabitation clause in my MSA. What is the definition of cohabitation?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Los Angeles California. I have been divorced for about 7 months. My ex spends several nights with her boyfriend whom she had an affair with. I have a cohabitation clause in my MSA. What is the definition of cohabitation?

Generally staying over a couple of nights per week does not meet the requirement.

Does she use his address?

mistoffolees

I don't believe that there is a formal definition. I think it's more of the judge saying "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...."

As Pro suggests, using his address for her mail and driver's license would be a strong indication of cohabitation. If she didn't have a place of her own, it would be an indication, as well.

Bali Hai

As you were told, the definition of cohabitation is whatever a particular judge deems it to be.

If you're seeking information to modify an alimony order, my guess would be that your ex upon advice from her attorney is clever enough not to cross the threshold that would put the alimony at risk.

LdiJ

Bottom line...spending the night at your boyfriend's house a couple of nights a week is simply NOT cohabitation.

Bali Hai

Bottom line...spending the night at your boyfriend's house a couple of nights a week is simply NOT cohabitation.
Additional bottom line...OP will be paying the full alimony per the order. The cohabitation clause in his decree is a joke on him.

LdiJ

Additional bottom line...OP will be paying the full alimony per the order. The cohabitation clause in his decree is a joke on him.
The whole point of a cohabitation clause is that if someone is cohabing, they are being partially supported by the income of the cohab partner, therefore reducing or eliminating the need for alimony. Even if they don't mingle funds, the expenses of the household, for each of them are reduced.

Spending the night at a boyfriend's or girlfriend's a couple of nights a week does not reduce anyone's household expenses.

Bali Hai

The whole point of a cohabitation clause is that if someone is cohabing, they are being partially supported by the income of the cohab partner, therefore reducing or eliminating the need for alimony. Even if they don't mingle funds, the expenses of the household, for each of them are reduced.

Spending the night at a boyfriend's or girlfriend's a couple of nights a week does not reduce anyone's household expenses.
I get your point, thank you. Do you get my point?

tuffbrk

Living with someone and thereby reducing each other's monthly expenses is defined to be nothing more than a room mate in some states. Comingling of funds, addresses and division of household chores may be required to claim cohabitation.

As Bali noted - a cohabitation clause is nothing more than a joke. It's put in divorce decrees but generally requires personal information a Payor has little hope of obtaining.

mistoffolees

Living with someone and thereby reducing each other's monthly expenses is defined to be nothing more than a room mate in some states. Comingling of funds, addresses and division of household chores may be required to claim cohabitation.

As Bali noted - a cohabitation clause is nothing more than a joke. It's put in divorce decrees but generally requires personal information a Payor has little hope of obtaining.
That's not always the case. In many courts, simply the fact that the two use the same address and call each other BF/GF might be enough to get alimony eliminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">