• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I quit paying alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ltandcrew

What is the name of your state? Utah

I've been divorced since May and I haven't received personal items in the decree, She actually sold some. and She also owes me money. Can someone tell me what happens if I quit paying alimony and deduct it from what she owes me??

Bali Hai

ltandcrew said:
What is the name of your state? Utah

I've been divorced since May and I haven't received personal items in the decree, She actually sold some. and She also owes me money. Can someone tell me what happens if I quit paying alimony and deduct it from what she owes me??
She will probably have her attorney file a contempt motion for arrearages that you owe plus court costs and her attorney fees. And she will probably win.

So pay your alimony and you file the contempt motion against her for the orders she was responsible for plus court costs and attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">