• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if she quits her job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My wife has agreed to spousal support (5 years) and child support. I overheard her say she was thinking about quitting her job. What is the Ohio law on this? I talk to my attny Thursday, and the wife is supposed to sign the decree Friday. If she is cohabiting, should her child support be higher? and should/can I ask for permanent spousal support since I am on disability?

I am looking at major Medicare bills for my treatment. $800 a month minimum from what I have been told by social security.

CJane

My wife has agreed to spousal support (5 years) and child support. I overheard her say she was thinking about quitting her job. What is the Ohio law on this? I talk to my attny Thursday, and the wife is supposed to sign the decree Friday. If she is cohabiting, should her child support be higher? and should/can I ask for permanent spousal support since I am on disability?

I am looking at major Medicare bills for my treatment. $800 a month minimum from what I have been told by social security.
Gawd you're going to keep on trying to suck her dry, aren't you?

If she quits her job, she quits her job. It's really not your business if she's working or not. If she stops making payments, you might be able to bring her in for contempt. Maybe. Of course, that will cause a judge to look more closely at the order and perhaps throw the 'agreement' out altogether.

Her cohabitation will not have an effect on child support or spousal support and it shouldn't. Why do you think it should?

If I'm recalling correctly, you haven't been married all that long. The likelihood of a judge ordering spousal support at all are slim - which is why your attorney wants her to agree - but lifetime? Not. Gonna. Happen. Your disability is YOUR problem.

Gawd you're going to keep on trying to suck her dry, aren't you?

If she quits her job, she quits her job. It's really not your business if she's working or not. If she stops making payments, you might be able to bring her in for contempt. Maybe. Of course, that will cause a judge to look more closely at the order and perhaps throw the 'agreement' out altogether.

Her cohabitation will not have an effect on child support or spousal support and it shouldn't. Why do you think it should?

If I'm recalling correctly, you haven't been married all that long. The likelihood of a judge ordering spousal support at all are slim - which is why your attorney wants her to agree - but lifetime? Not. Gonna. Happen. Your disability is YOUR problem.
we have been married close to 12 years. she makes 4 times what I do, the spousal support will not even cover my Medicare premiums. My disability is partly caused by her.

My understanding is that if I cohabitate it will affect the child support amount. why should hers not? She has ZERO bills, other than the support she will owe our son and I and her cell phone bill. she has no car payment, car insurance, rent, utility payments or other "house hold" bills. this will leave her with 2 grand a month to spend however she wants. hardly "sucking her dry".

tuffbrk

we have been married close to 12 years. she makes 4 times what I do, the spousal support will not even cover my Medicare premiums. My disability is partly caused by her.

My understanding is that if I cohabitate it will affect the child support amount. why should hers not? She has ZERO bills, other than the support she will owe our son and I and her cell phone bill. she has no car payment, car insurance, rent, utility payments or other "house hold" bills. this will leave her with 2 grand a month to spend however she wants. hardly "sucking her dry".
Cohabitation affects your child support? Think you're confused.
All parents owe it to their children to support them. If you want to be supported call your mommy...unless you're an adult of course. Your Ex doesn't "owe" you anything.

What makes you think she has ZERO bills?! How would YOU know what her bills are? She works but doesn't have to pay car insurance or purchase gas at a minimum? Guessing that you're assuming that nonsense. And unlike you - most adults prefer to pay their own way so I would expect that she's contributing to the household in which she's living.

And if she's not? It's none of your business. You can always take a typing job to supplement the money you receive from the gov't and the money being paid by someone who doesn't want you in their life anymore.

Lifetime spousal support? Why? You brought her a lifetime of joy?!! Get off your knees - or stay on them - and pray that she signs the agreement. Too bad it minimizes her disposable income that could and should be spent on the child.

Bali Hai

It just amazes me that when women come here asking questions about alimony, they are PAMPERED by the same members who attack like a pit bull when men come here asking the same questions!!

Bali Hai

Bali, we don't discriminate against men or women. We have expectations of BOTH men and women learning to support themselves.
I think you are having trouble determining if you are awake or sleeping. I happen to think you are sleeping right now because if you think I'm buying that crap, YOU'RE DREAMING!!

Bali Hai

My wife has agreed to spousal support (5 years) and child support. I overheard her say she was thinking about quitting her job. What is the Ohio law on this? I talk to my attny Thursday, and the wife is supposed to sign the decree Friday.

Once the decree is final, wifey is obligated to pay the support just like any man would be. If the man quit his job to avoid paying support, he would be taking his next meal at the crowbar hotel. It should be NO different for a woman!!

If she is cohabiting, should her child support be higher?

No because the person she is living with has no obligation to support her child.

and should/can I ask for permanent spousal support since I am on disability?

With a 12 year marriage under your belt and your stbx wifes earning capacity and "ability to pay", permenant alimony is NOT out of the question for a courts consideration.

A suggestion: Unless you already are, you may want to wait collecting any SSDI until you have milked all the alimony out of her that you can. SSDI could make a difference in the amount of alimony that she might be ordered to pay.

tuffbrk

Bali, Bali, Bali....I've missed you - really! :) Hope you had a lovely vacation...or finally ahd enough money to get the internet service restored :D I check in and am always kind of disappointed if you don't respond to a NY post!

LdiJ has made some very valid points about alimony that are applicable to the generation before mine and to the very wealthy. For us middleclass folks - it's another story entirely.

That being said - my comments to the viperspittle man are because I disagree with alimony on principal. Man or woman - it's absolutely wrong when a bitter, vindictive STBX does what they can to manipulate the legal system in order to make the STBX "pay" simply because the STBX does not choose to support their lazy spittle spitting selves anymore. How many choose to quit their job or cry disability or cry they were a SAHM/F, bankrupt their business, etc. People are shameless. People like this clearly demonstrate no pride or self respect and should not be allowed near impressionable people. The whole "entitlement" attitude just p's me off.

That laws give a disinterested 3rd party, with no financial background and education:eek:, the right to obligate a party to support another party is reprehensible. The almighty dollar doesn't win - the slimiest attorney wins. That's presuming the disinterested 3rd party didn't get "any" and is cranky and annoyed at the opposite sex when they rule the next day.

Anyway - enough of my rant and hijack - jsut responding to your comment about sympathy to the women and none to the men. I've sympathy only for those paying it.

ok i will wait to get the answer from my attny. I have noticed a bias towards women in this topic, but I expect it to be this way. How I know what bills she pays, part of the process is filling out a form listing your monthly bills! she sells cars so she gets a new car free, and he insurance is covered by the dealership. The only bill she listed was her cell phone, and $200 a month in gas, but $500 under etertainment.

Its a shame that some people on here find it so fun to pick on the disabled. shame shame. karma has a way of bitting you on the butt.

CJane

OP, I just gotta ask.

What is your disability? How is she partly responsible for it?
This is from one of his MANY other threads that's essentially the same as this one - down to the pending signatures on the crap-ass agreement.

I have spinal stenoisis, degenerative disk disease, a destroyed right knee, plus complex post traumatic stress disorder (military) ADD, minor OCD, bi-polar, and suffer panic attacks in large crowds. It has not prevented me from caring for my son in anyway for the last 7 years. all of a sudden she wants to say my son is "unsafe" around me. My shrink is aware of her claim and will supply any and all paperwork including the fact that I have been faithfully following his course of treatment for the last 3 years, changed doctors when we moved. I am aware there will be a court eval and am prepared for it. My wife will have to take one also.

I hope this answers any questions. I can go more indepth if needed.
Can't figure out how it's mom's fault though.

majomom1

Bali, Bali, Bali....I've missed you - really! :) Hope you had a lovely vacation...or finally ahd enough money to get the internet service restored :D I check in and am always kind of disappointed if you don't respond to a NY post!

LdiJ has made some very valid points about alimony that are applicable to the generation before mine and to the very wealthy. For us middleclass folks - it's another story entirely.

That being said - my comments to the viperspittle man are because I disagree with alimony on principal. Man or woman - it's absolutely wrong when a bitter, vindictive STBX does what they can to manipulate the legal system in order to make the STBX "pay" simply because the STBX does not choose to support their lazy spittle spitting selves anymore. How many choose to quit their job or cry disability or cry they were a SAHM/F, bankrupt their business, etc. People are shameless. People like this clearly demonstrate no pride or self respect and should not be allowed near impressionable people. The whole "entitlement" attitude just p's me off.

That laws give a disinterested 3rd party, with no financial background and education:eek:, the right to obligate a party to support another party is reprehensible. The almighty dollar doesn't win - the slimiest attorney wins. That's presuming the disinterested 3rd party didn't get "any" and is cranky and annoyed at the opposite sex when they rule the next day.

Anyway - enough of my rant and hijack - jsut responding to your comment about sympathy to the women and none to the men. I've sympathy only for those paying it.
I have to side with Tuff today... Bali, I have missed you!

Bali... I was married for over 20 years. I did not want aliimony. I got $200 a month for 24 months. Not a huge amount considering the 401K that I pulled (and sunk) into HIS business adventure, after working for 19 years....

All I wanted was to get back on my feet and take care of myself. And I did it.

Reading here on FA... I could have gotten more. But, if I could go back, this is one thing I would change, I would not have taken ANY alimony.

Sorry for the hijack... but no one should ever count on, or expect alimony or spousal support.

AND it is never a "given"...

majomom1

It just amazes me that when women come here asking questions about alimony, they are PAMPERED by the same members who attack like a pit bull when men come here asking the same questions!!
I have seen both women, and men, being attacked for wanting spousal support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">