• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will not paying off my cc debt ($6K) have an impact on reducing spousal support in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterpan2020

California.

After my wife and I have separated, I have accumulated about $6K of cc debts. For over a year I didn't have a job, so spousal support was pushed out and the judge never ruled on it. Now I have a job and an upcoming court hearing for spousal support. Will keeping the $6K debt on the books (i.e. not paying it off) help reduce the alimony I have to pay her?

Note that my divorce is not yet final. We've been married for over 20 years. I filed for divorce a year+ ago, but my wife and her counsel are dragging their feet. Nothing has been done. I mean NOTHING! except of course, that I filed for divorce and the lawyers keep "continuing" and billing us every time we have a hearing!!!

Thank You!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
California.

After my wife and I have separated, I have accumulated about $6K of cc debts. For over a year I didn't have a job, so spousal support was pushed out and the judge never ruled on it. Now I have a job and an upcoming court hearing for spousal support. Will keeping the $6K debt on the books (i.e. not paying it off) help reduce the alimony I have to pay her?

Note that my divorce is not yet final. We've been married for over 20 years. I filed for divorce a year+ ago, but my wife and her counsel are dragging their feet. Nothing has been done. I mean NOTHING! except of course, that I filed for divorce and the lawyers keep "continuing" and billing us every time we have a hearing!!!

Thank You!
Nope. It won't most likely affect what you would pay in spousal support. You chose to get into debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">