• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 month in jail in sentences (prosecutor and probation was asking for 6 month )

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi my name is alex and I'm 24 yo...was get arrested for money laundry and was looking for 6-12 month...but was bail out and was going to pretrail always ontime + I'm a father of two kids...and have very good recomebdations.prosecutor and probation was askinf fir 6 month of home Arrest but judge give me a 10 month of jail!AND WASN'T. offer me half way house.idont know what I can to do else...((((...please help me with advance.thank you

Antigone*

Hi my name is alex and I'm 24 yo...was get arrested for money laundry and was looking for 6-12 month...but was bail out and was going to pretrail always ontime + I'm a father of two kids...and have very good recomebdations.prosecutor and probation was askinf fir 6 month of home Arrest but judge give me a 10 month of jail!AND WASN'T. offer me half way house.idont know what I can to do else...((((...please help me with advance.thank you
My suggestion is that during your short stint in jail that you brush up on your spelling, writing and grammar skills.

racer72

Years ago there was a TV show who's theme song contained the line "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". That applies perfectly to this case.

CavemanLawyer

You didn't mention what state this is but in this case it might not matter.

If you go to the judge for sentencing he/she can do just about whatever they want as long as they stay within the statutory range of punishment and don't base their ruling on something improper. You can always appeal the sentence but there likely is nothing to base it on, especially if you just plead open without there being any additional evidence submitted. You took a chance on the judge and you got more than you expected, there isn't much you can do about that.

well thanks to everyone.

My case in NY but i leave in Los angeles and i will do time in los angeles.

Still have couple questions :

1) i was hear something about halfway house?
2) any other options to lower the time ? ( donation , supervision .. )
3) whats about payable jail ?
4) and what you was meaning 6 month instead of 10 month ?

Thank you

woodykas

1) i was hear something about halfway house?
2) any other options to lower the time ? ( donation , supervision .. )
3) whats about payable jail ?
4) and what you was meaning 6 month instead of 10 month ?

Thank you
it is all up to judge. actually you have no choice.

"Good Time Credit" is something earned by a prisoner when they have no infractions while incarcerated. The earned credit is generally considered when the guards don't have to write you up for rule infractions whether its for fighting, drug dealing, sex, having food in your cell... what have you.

The best way to gain on your sentence is to simply do as asked and not cause trouble. You'll be granted a certain portion of time for every day you have had no trouble. One of the best ways to gather earned time credit is to take some classes. Being in a class shows that you are serious about changing your life and keeps you out of trouble.

Of course you know what state you're charged in, as well if it was a state or federal crime. Knowing this will help in determining how much time can be taken off your sentence. For example, federal prisons offer 54 days of time off for good behavior per year. So if your sentence is 3 years you can look forward to removing 162 days from your sentence. It works the same for state prisons.

There are also a few states that offer up to 15 days per month of good behavior credit - that's half your sentence! As well, there are states prisons that offer no good time credit in their department of corrections rulings.

thank you very much.i will do time in central CA.how i can know that my state is offer a 15 days a month off each month?and as i was undestending that i will get 54 day of my time?and i have federal case....thank you again and god bless you

woodykas

and whats about a job in jail?does they will give me a credit time?
I am not sure, it depends on your county jail or prison.

here is some info for Orange County:

How do you determine which inmates qualify for Good/Work Time Calculations?
Section 4019 requires that county inmates receive good time and work time credit unless the
inmates have not satisfactorily complied with the rules and regulations established by the jail or
have refused to satisfactorily perform work as assigned. Section 4019 provides that unless the
inmate is required to register as a sex offender, was committed for a serious felony or has a
prior conviction for a serious or violent felony, the inmate is to receive one day of good time
credit and one day of work time credit (2 days credit) for each four day period in custody. We
have had to determine which inmates have convictions or prior convictions for serious or
violent felonies. The Orange County District Attorney’s Office forwarded a list of “Disqualifying
Crimes” as compiled by the Santa Clara District Attorney’s Office. The list is 9-pages in length

How do the amendments to Penal Code section 4019 affect the Orange County Sheriff’s
Department?
Prior to this change, good time/ work time credits reduce a sentence by up to 33%. The new
rule, for eligible inmates, will reduce their sentence by 50%, rather than 33%. This new law
applies to those already sentenced and in our custody. With respect to defendants that have
been sentenced on and after January 25, the Orange County Superior Court has indicated on its
sentencing orders whether the defendant is eligible for the 50% credits.

CavemanLawyer

He said it is a federal case so state parole laws do not apply. I'm not familiar enough with federal parole laws to give an exact prediction but my understanding is that an individual typically serves about 85% of their sentence at the minimum with good conduct time. It is entirely possible that you will have to serve 100%. This is something that your attorney should really be explaining to you.

thank you guys...my attorney was saying 85% and 1,5-2 month ( may be ) in half way house....im just fills horrible because i need to go to jail and try to find out anyway to reduce a time.thank you

i was hear something about donations,payable jails and that somebody will signed to me and they will released me to home even after sentense.

and someone was saying that i will do a full time because good time credit is only apply for sentences for 1 year and more....:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">