• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 year warrant and on parole

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmerlo

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I will make a long story short. In 1996 I was arrested for agg. burglary and theft charges. I went to the prison and was released on parole in 2000. An NCIC was run when I got out and I have now been on parole for 5 years. When I got out in 2000 I went to live with my mom in the housing projects. I had to have my fingure prints run and nothing came up. Well about a week ago I was stopped for a tail light being out on my car and when my name was put in the police comp in his car it came up that I had a hold on me for agg. burglary and theft back in 1997. Well it is impossible for this because I was locked up in 1997 and also wouldn't statute of limitations have run out by now? Also why did it not come up on the NCIC when I got out of prison? And also my parole officer didn't know anything about it. Can someone give me some advice on what to do other than get a good lawyer? :confused:

Some Random Guy

Even a crummy lawyer should be able to get a case dismissed if you were in prison when the incident occurred. The question is - when was the crime? The warrant was issued in 1997, but the crime may have been committed in 96.

The statute of limitations stops when charges are filed. Talk to a lawyer.

tmerlo

thank you It probably did occur when my other charges happened. And my parole officer is for me not on the states side.

Two Bit

Actually, that's a good question. If you were publically a resident of the state where the warrant was issued, and the state would regularlly contact you, then you could argue that the SOL should have been running the whole time. In most cases, the SOL would be tolled while you were a fugitive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">