• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year old warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Atwood

Massachusetts

My husband was convicted and sentenced to several years probation on a drug charge 14 years ago. He served his probation and went on to be a law abiding, educated, working professional. Yesterday, while I was driving his car, I was pulled over by the police because there is a warrant for his arrest. The officer could not tell me what the warrant was for. So I called a friend who was able to tell me it was for failure to appear in court regarding the drug charge. We have lived in MA for almost a year and he has obtained a state driver's license, registered 3 cars, passed security clearances and has even been pulled over once for speeding, etc and no one ever notified us this pending warrant until a cop decided to run my plate. Isn't that weird? My husband has proof that the case was moved from the town that issued the warrant to the Superior Court of that county. He can also show that he was convicted and sentenced. Is this enough paperwork to avoid being held by the court for further investigation?
Thank you, Atwood

CdwJava

It sounds like he needs an attorney to clear the confusion up now. The warrant is an order from a court saying that the police are "commanded" to pick the person up. Any paperwork he shows the officers who contact him is likely to have zero impact on his being arrested. It might impact the court a few days later, but it will do him no good at the moment of arrest.

He needs to get the mess cleared up now. Or, he can wait til they finally do catch up to him. If it IS a paperwork foul-up, it shouldn't be too tough to get resolved.

Carl

ptlmejo

Call the agency which issued the warrant. If it's not supposed to still be in the system, have them remove it.

K

krispenstpeter

ptlmejo said:
Call the agency which issued the warrant. If it's not supposed to still be in the system, have them remove it.
Really? Just call the court and say "Hey, remove this warrant."

Real genius at work. :rolleyes:

Carl has already responded correctly to this poster. Why, oh why would you feel the need to post such drivel?

ptlmejo

LOL! Someone is sure full of piss and vinegar today.

Sometimes, agencies screw up and do not remove the warrant from the system. That's why it's necessary to confirm them at the time of arrest. Thus, if it's not supposed to be in there, ask. Save the $$ for the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">