• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year old warrant...california can't find records for.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ricallenx41

Social security contacted me stateing that they are cutting off my benifits because i have a felony warrant dating back 14+ years...when i contacted them in compton california, they said they can find no records of the felony. fine and dandy, but social security has cut my benifits off because of this and is wanting me to pay back 10's of thousands of dollars of benifits they have paid me over the years...helpWhat is the name of your state? California,

Last edited:

zippysgoddess

I am not sure how to go about finding the warrant, but I can provide advice for Social Security.

You cannot collect SS benefits if you a felony warrant you have not responded to, or felony convictions. If you really have one, there isn't much you can do about that, it is the law. However, you can request a waiver for the money they want back. You need to ask for, or go to the site and print the waiver form, and provide all information about your income, and bills to show them that you had to use the money to live, and had no other reliable/regular income.

CdwJava

First, find out what court issued the warrant. If it was Los Angeles County, you should be able to find something through them. If not, find out from the SS Administration what you need to do to clear the matter up. If there is no active warrant, then you might be able to get some kind of clearance from the court. Maybe the SSA can tell you who issued the warrant and when ... that could help you track it down.

- Carl

Ricallenx41

14 year old warrant...california can't find records for. #2

I just got off the phone with social security...and they said , if they can't find the records...for them to send a statement saying that to social security...and that will do.
Personally, ill have to see that to believe it. but i can only pray.
thanks

Kane

There's an excellent article about this problem here:

http://www.thebody.com/apla/dec02/felons.html

This is a paragraph that should jump out at you:

If you want SSA to waive, cancel or reduce the overpayment, you have 65 calendar days from the date stamp on your Notice of Overpayment to file a written appeal (a Request for Reconsideration). If you do not file in time, you will have to prove you had a good reason to file late. If you want to receive SSI checks while you are appealing the termination of benefits or the overpayment (or both), you must file your Request for Reconsideration within 10 calendar days.
Bottom line: if you can convince them there was no warrant (that it was a mistake), everything will be fine. But if there was a warrant - even one that has been "lost" - they cannot pay you. And, they're probably going to want the money they already paid you back.

CdwJava

stilen621 said:
Hi, I am in Oregon, am I to understand that in the U.S., felones cant get social security ???
If they have paid into it, they can. Felons that have an active warrant or are in custody are not eligible as I understand it.

- Carl

stilen621

CdwJava said:
If they have paid into it, they can. Felons that have an active warrant or are in custody are not eligible as I understand it.

- Carl

Wheeeeeew, thanks Carl, for a second there I was worried

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">