• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 daughter shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OS#1

Hello. My 18 yr daughter got herself caught shoplifting at k-mart. She got arrested. She went to a hearing on her own and it got adjourneduntil a later date. Well that is this tuesday. I only found out about this yesterday. She was caught taking about 38.00 dallors. She is guilty of what she did. She has never been introuble with the law before and is a good kid. This is such short notice. Can I go to court with her. Will she just get a fine and probation. How bad is this really. Is it possible to get a lawyer in such short notice. She is 18 and an adult, will there just be a public defender there she can use. I am clueless. Need advice quickly.

Thanks

FlyingRon

Sure you can get a lawyer. Call for one first thing Monday morning.
There won't be a PD unless she asks/applies for one and even then she needs to prove she is indigent to get one. The time to ask for that was probably at her first hearing.

JETX

Can I go to court with her.
Yes. Court proceedings such as this are public records and anyone can watch. However, since she is a legal adult, you can't represent or assist her in court.

Will she just get a fine and probation.
No one can guess what punishment the court might hand out.

How bad is this really.
Compared to murder?? Not too bad.
Compared to a traffic violation?? Pretty bad, since she will have a criminal record.

Is it possible to get a lawyer in such short notice.
Some attorneys are available 24/7. Make some calls.

She is 18 and an adult, will there just be a public defender there she can use.
Depends on her financial status. If she is truly 'without assets or income', she can plead not guilty at the arraignment and request the court to appoint an attorney.

HomeGuru

Hello. My 18 yr daughter got herself caught shoplifting at k-mart. She got arrested. She went to a hearing on her own and it got adjourneduntil a later date. Well that is this tuesday. I only found out about this yesterday. She was caught taking about 38.00 dallors. She is guilty of what she did. She has never been introuble with the law before and is a good kid. This is such short notice. Can I go to court with her. Will she just get a fine and probation. How bad is this really. Is it possible to get a lawyer in such short notice. She is 18 and an adult, will there just be a public defender there she can use. I am clueless. Need advice quickly.

Thanks
**A: how much is 38.00 dallors?

outonbail

**A: how much is 38.00 dallors?
3800 Pennies
760 Nickels
380 Dimes
152 Quarters
76 half dollars
and equivalent to a half a shopping cart full of K-mart’s imported crap*
Or,
$400.00 in civil restitution
$2,500.00 + for legal representation
Sixty days of community service
Criminal record for a theft related charge. So any potential employer who doesn’t want to
hire a thief,,, well you get the point.
and will basically result in an all around $hity Christmas Holiday

*At “Blue Light” special prices :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">