• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 Year old kid destroyed my yard.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shortbrant

I live in Valrico FL 33596

I am 22 years of age and my parents went out of town for the weekend so i decided to have a cinco de mayo party at my house. I invited a bunch of friends between the ages of 18 and 27. At the end of the night this punk decided to use my front yard as a mudding field with his truck and caused and estimated $1000 worth of damage to my yard. I myself and other witnesses watched him repeatedly leave and come back to tear up my yard. My dad wants to press charges but first wanted to try settle it without the police with his parents first. The kid denied that he did it and claimed i was serving alcohol to minors. I wasn't serving alcohol to minors nor is there any proof of any minors drinking. But i don't want to file a police report if it's gonna risk getting me in trouble for something that didn't happen.

What should i do?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Pay your parents for the damage that your stupid decision to have a giant party at their house led to. And hope that no one reports to the police that you had a party where minors were invited and alcohol was served without any measures taken to check ID or prevent minors from consuming said alcohol.

Shortbrant

Pay your parents for the damage that your stupid decision to have a giant party at their house led to. And hope that no one reports to the police that you had a party where minors were invited and alcohol was served without any measures taken to check ID or prevent minors from consuming said alcohol.
When you go to a barbecue or other social outing do the hosts usually check I.D.s? i've never been to one where they did. In this situation it's his word against mine and all the attendees. like i said there is no proof or evidence of underage drinking.

OHRoadwarrior

I'm glad you are not my son. Not only did you let someone destroy mom n dads property, you watched them do it over and over. :eek:

Proserpina

When you go to a barbecue or other social outing do the hosts usually check I.D.s?

It's a moot point - I KNOW who will and won't be attending any event I'm hosting. :cool:

And if my (adult) kids bring their friends? You bet your backside I want to see ID before they get so much as a sniff of alcohol.

i've never been to one where they did. In this situation it's his word against mine and all the attendees. like i said there is no proof or evidence of underage drinking.
That's true, there's no proof. But you may find that if it boils down to it, it might actually be a surprisingly low number of "friends" willing to testify for you. They often seem to develop a very strange condition wherein they can no longer recollect whether there was alcohol or who may have been bringing it in.

Shortbrant

I'm glad you are not my son. Not only did you let someone destroy mom n dads property, you watched them do it over and over. :eek:
yeah, my body vs a dodge ram quad cab being driven by someone who is treating my yard like a mudding course isn't really a fair fight. that's a good one though.

It's a moot point - I KNOW who will and won't be attending any event I'm hosting. :cool:

That's true, there's no proof. But you may find that if it boils down to it, it might actually be a surprisingly low number of "friends" willing to testify for you. They often seem to develop a very strange condition wherein they can no longer recollect whether there was alcohol or who may have been bringing it in.
The 3 people that witnessed said actions, and the only ones still at the house at the time this was all happening, would gladly testify that this person was doing tearing up my yard.

Proserpina

yeah, my body vs a dodge ram quad cab being driven by someone who is treating my yard like a mudding course isn't really a fair fight. that's a good one though.

The 3 people that witnessed said actions, and the only ones still at the house at the time this was all happening, would gladly testify that this person was doing tearing up my yard.

And the reason you didn't immediately call 911 is....?

Ladyback1

And the reason you didn't immediately call 911 is....?

Oh, I'm betting there was alcohol (at the very least) involved, hence why cops weren't called!;)

At this point? There's no proof that alcohol was served, and there's no proof this kid went muddin' in your yard. It's a case of he said/he said. Your "witnesses" are tainted (or will appear to be tainted).

Sounds like you need to be more careful with the HOME your parents paid for (and which you didn't pay for!). You should probably figure out the whole personal responsibility thing as well...

(I have carded people ON THE STREET who have asked to bum a cigarette. I will not contribute to the delinquency of a minor...)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Parents can sue the 19 year old ADULT who caused the damage. Why involve his parents? They have no liability in this.

OHRoadwarrior

That is why you are not responsible enough to be having parties and should be responsible for the damages you allowed to happen. When you grow up and become an adult, you will learn how to handle situations like this, when they happen. Hopefully it will happen by age 30 for you.

Eekamouse

"Well, officer, this underaged kid got drunk at my party and then tore up my yard. Arrest him!" It's your fault the kid got drunk and then tore up your yard. If you hadn't have thrown an underaged drinking party, he wouldn't have been there to do this.

Shortbrant

I bet you didn't have a permit for the party, either.
I'm unaware of any laws indicating the need for a permit to have a party in ones own house.

"Well, officer, this underaged kid got drunk at my party and then tore up my yard. Arrest him!" It's your fault the kid got drunk and then tore up your yard. If you hadn't have thrown an underaged drinking party, he wouldn't have been there to do this.
And the thing is, the kid wasn't drunk, he didn't drink anything. He was just a dick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">