• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 year conviction now seeking a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

933kjl

Maryland

Over 20 years ago, in college, I received a conviction for theft and conspiracy. There was a 2 year probation sentence and several weekends in the county jail.

Now, I am seeking employment and I want to know if this necessarily needs to be disclosed? And if so, how is the best way to put a positive spin on it.

THe conviction was in another state, and I have been in MD for over 10 years. There have been no further troubles with the law other than a traffic ticket here and there.

I have seen some companies asking for convicitons in the last 7 years. Others ask if there are ANY.

A perspective employer has said they will do a criminal background check and I wonder if it is best to disclose and explain. Omit and hope it does not show up. Omit and then try to explain later.

The offence was in 1985 and the sentence was complete I believe in 1987 or maybe 1988.

Thanks

xylene

Consider looking for expungement / pardon options.

Barring that, run a background check on yourself and see what comes up.

Also, to further confuse what5 curt said... just because you disclose it and they hire you doesn't mean they can't subsequently fire you for it...

If in doubt, Apply to the last 7 years place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">