• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Warrant Issued for DUI after failure to make payments?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lakeshowin

I truly hope someone may be able to give me advice for this situation as it is causing me a lot of stress and anxiety.
A close family member of mine has a DUI they did not take care of in a timely fashion. The first time they were pulled over on a warrant and spent the weekend in jail. Next, they did not enroll in the class on time and a warrant was issued but they were able to see the judge and, under our supervision, was able to enroll in the class and begin payments to the court. This time, it appears they have neglected payments and/or the DUI classes and we've received another warrant for them today. I'm beyond words and do not know how else to help at this point. Do we need a lawyer for them? What are we facing? Is there anything that anyone can offer to help me sleep tonight? Thank you in advance for any kind and positive words of advice.
B

quincy

I truly hope someone may be able to give me advice for this situation as it is causing me a lot of stress and anxiety.
A close family member of mine has a DUI they did not take care of in a timely fashion. The first time they were pulled over on a warrant and spent the weekend in jail. Next, they did not enroll in the class on time and a warrant was issued but they were able to see the judge and, under our supervision, was able to enroll in the class and begin payments to the court. This time, it appears they have neglected payments and/or the DUI classes and we've received another warrant for them today. I'm beyond words and do not know how else to help at this point. Do we need a lawyer for them? What are we facing? Is there anything that anyone can offer to help me sleep tonight? Thank you in advance for any kind and positive words of advice.
B
What is the name of your state, Lakeshowin?

YOU are facing nothing. Your close family member is.

You can help to pay for a lawyer for your family member. The lawyer can answer any questions your family member may have.

Good luck.

Lakeshowin

What is the name of your state, Lakeshowin?

YOU are facing nothing. Your close family member is.

You can help to pay for a lawyer for your family member. The lawyer can answer any questions your family member may have.

Good luck.
I'm in the state of California. I feel like as a family we will face the same fate as they do, unfortunately.

quincy

I'm in the state of California. I feel like as a family we will face the same fate as they do, unfortunately.
Well, you as a family perhaps did not do a terrific job of "supervising" this person but, unless all of you as a family have had DUIs and have failed to make required payments in a timely fashion and failed to attend classes as ordered by the court and have warrants out for your arrest, you are unlikely to face the same fate as your law-breaking family member.

You can help pay for an attorney.

Lakeshowin

Well, you as a family perhaps did not do a terrific job of "supervising" this person but, unless all of you as a family have had DUIs and have failed to make required payments in a timely fashion and failed to attend classes as ordered by the court and have warrants out for your arrest, you are unlikely to face the same fate as your law-breaking family member.

You can help pay for an attorney.
I think you may have misunderstood my last post. What I meant is we will help them in whatever way possible and be there together as a family. There is no "terrific" job to do on taking care of an adult. Also, law breaking? Really? SMH. You people. I asked for information, if you have none leave your opinions to yourself.

quincy

I think you may have misunderstood my last post. What I meant is we will help them in whatever way possible and be there together as a family. There is no "terrific" job to do on taking care of an adult. Also, law breaking? Really? SMH. You people. I asked for information, if you have none leave your opinions to yourself.
I'm sorry but I don't understand why you are shaking your head over my "law-breaking" comment. Your close family member broke the law.

Although I didn't address your question, "Is there anything that anyone can offer to help me sleep tonight?" (because we don't dispense sleeping pills or sing lullabies on this forum), the LEGAL answer to the questions, "Do we need a lawyer?" and "What are we facing?" is that YOU do not need a lawyer and YOU are not facing anything.

There is nothing YOU can do expect pay for an attorney for your law-breaking family member. The family member is the one who needs a lawyer because he broke the law.

Lakeshowin

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you are shaking your head over my "law-breaking" comment. Your close family member broke the law.

Although I didn't address your question, "Is there anything that anyone can offer to help me sleep tonight?" (because we don't dispense sleeping pills or sing lullabies on this forum), the LEGAL answer to the questions, "Do we need a lawyer?" and "What are we facing?" is that YOU do not need a lawyer and YOU are not facing anything.

There is nothing YOU can do expect pay for an attorney for your law-breaking family member. The family member is the one who needs a lawyer because he broke the law.
Soooo....thanks? Idk how you think you may have just helped.

quincy

I am not sure what other help you want or expect. There really is nothing you can do other than pay for an attorney for your family member.

Everything else that you have mentioned (the court-ordered classes, the payments to the court, handling the warrants) needs to be handled by your family member. The family member needs to start taking the court orders seriously.

An attorney might be able to assist him with his court appearances.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I am not sure what other help you want or expect. There really is nothing you can do other than pay for an attorney for your family member.

Everything else that you have mentioned (the court-ordered classes, the payments to the court, handling the warrants) needs to be handled by your family member. The family member needs to start taking the court orders seriously.

An attorney might be able to assist him with his court appearances.
There's a full moon, q.

:)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your family member is a very irresponsible adult.

Maybe you can best help by leaving this person to his own devices to deal with his own problem. Maybe he will finally learn a lesson if he keeps getting arrested. This person does not want to even help himself it would seem.

Lakeshowin

Your family member is a very irresponsible adult.

Maybe you can best help by leaving this person to his own devices to deal with his own problem. Maybe he will finally learn a lesson if he keeps getting arrested. This person does not want to even help himself it would seem.
I was not looking for judgement or sympathy on what I should do in this situation. I simply asked a question to see if any one had ever gone through such an instance either personally or professionally. The site is called free legal advice, that's all I asked for. A simple "no I've never heard of such a situation" or "its not the end of the world, go to see the judge with at least part of the money and since its a first offense and they have been umemployed all year maybe they won't have to go to jail for not paying fines". I don't know, I just thought better of people when asking for a little help. Sorry I bothered to ask on this site.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I was not looking for judgement or sympathy on what I should do in this situation. I simply asked a question to see if any one had ever gone through such an instance either personally or professionally. The site is called free legal advice, that's all I asked for. A simple "no I've never heard of such a situation" or "its not the end of the world, go to see the judge with at least part of the money and since its a first offense and they have been umemployed all year maybe they won't have to go to jail for not paying fines". I don't know, I just thought better of people when asking for a little help. Sorry I bothered to ask on this site.

Have you actually read what you just wrote here?!

:eek:

Goodness gracious me.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is not a support forum. It is a legal advice forum.

Yes, you can hire a lawyer for your non-law abiding relative. You can pay all your relative's fines. You can "supervise" your non-law abiding adult relative as he apparently in not capable of following directions on his own.

We have ALL heard of such situations as your non-law abiding relative. You can not effectively help a self destructive person who is bent on being their own worst enemy... but you can spend a lot of money enabling him, because you think his legal problems are... going to reflect badly upon you?

It is not the end of the world, but the judge is NOT likely to be impressed by your relative inability to take his legal problems seriously. Your relative's problem is that he does not just have a DUI - he has compounded the problem by not following the court orders afterwards. *You* think of this as a first offense - his repeated violations and warrants can also be seen as offenses.

It is very possible that no, the judge will not be amused, so yes, your non-law abiding relative needs to retain a lawyer. You can pay. If you consider that a good use of your money and you have plenty of cash to throw around, then more power to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">