• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ability of mentally unstable person to acquire a gun

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ed17406W

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My next-door neighbor was acting a little strange the other day. The police paid her a visit, hauled her off to the psych unit at the local hospital and confiscated her handgun. She was discharged from the hospital within 48 hours, but the shrinks refused to okay the release of her handgun, which the police still have. Now she's talking about buying another gun, either a handgun or a long gun, to replace the one that was confiscated. If she goes to a gun shop in Pennsylvania and tries to buy a gun, is there any law to prevent her from buying one? Does the state keep a list of people who aren't allowed to own guns? If she goes into Maryland or Delaware or New Jersey, would she be able to buy a gun there? I live in a townhouse, and I don't think that the wall between my townhouse and hers is solid enough or thick enough to prevent a bullet or a load of shot from passing through it. My neighbor apparently isn't unstable enough to be incarcerated, but the prospect of having her armed and dangerous and next door makes me uneasy.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">