• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidently released from jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alsavage

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a friend who's son was in jail for a drug charge and was accidently released from jail. He is planning on going to a state run drug rehab center this Tuesday.

The family was just called and told by his public defender that he was released on accident and needs to report back to the jail tomorrow.

When they asked the public defender what would happen if they didn't come back to jail, what would happen. The public defender said "nothing".

Does this make sense?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

They'll issue a warrant and he could be apprehended at any time (that's not nothing). I believe the lawyer was answering what additional punishment he has for being out by mistake even after they ask him to come back, and that is "nothing more than you're already in store for."

He probably ought to make plans to surrender at a time that is convenient for him as opposed to risking being snatched up at an inopportune time by the cops.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a friend who's son was in jail for a drug charge and was accidently released from jail. He is planning on going to a state run drug rehab center this Tuesday.

The family was just called and told by his public defender that he was released on accident and needs to report back to the jail tomorrow.

When they asked the public defender what would happen if they didn't come back to jail, what would happen. The public defender said "nothing".

Does this make sense?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I have seen people erroneously released, several years ago I was released by mistake. If the person was not sentenced than appear at the next court date.
They may get lucky and they may not. I am surprised this person voluntarily brought attention to this. Not a super genius idea.

The lawyer said to turn himself in because that is what he HAD to say. I guess that's what i'm supposed to say also.

note: Many people don't like admitting to mistakes. If this person was a killer things would be very different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">