• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accusation of criminal harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat2042

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I am being accused of criminal harassment by someone who had been a friend of mine. She apparently had a problem with me, but refused to tell me what it was. I had tried to contact her repeatedly in order to try to rectify the problem, but she never would answer the phone. I left messages, but nothing that was in any way threatening or intimidating at all. The police have told me that they will obtain a warrant for my arrest within the next week or two. I believe that i am not guilty of harassment and am confident that they will be unable to prove my guilt. My concern however is that i am a teacher and i do not want anything like this marring my reputation. is there any way that i can prevent this arrest from occuring in the first place? am i able to present any type of documentation to defend myself in order to prevent being arrested and having to going to court?

Last edited:

Bretagne

You need to obtain an attorney immediately to make arrangements to accompany you to make a statement to the police. If there's probable cause for you to be charged, you probably will be. So without your statement, you will be charged. You will likely still be charged. And maybe your attorney will recommend that you remain silent and not make a statement at all.

kat2042

legal verbage

In the law, it states that harassment is threatening behavior that is intended to frighten, alarm, or cause distress. If I was never threatening and was merely trying to resolve an apparent personal dispute, doesn't that mean that I'm innocent?

outonbail

In the law, it states that harassment is threatening behavior that is intended to frighten, alarm, or cause distress. If I was never threatening and was merely trying to resolve an apparent personal dispute, doesn't that mean that I'm innocent?
How would you know the other party wasn't frightened, alarmed or under considerable stress because of the way you went about trying to resolve the personal dispute?
You wouldn't. So in the future, when you meet someone who suddenly doesn't want to talk to you or have any contact with you, simply leave them alone and you will not have this problem.

this friend of yours

if she is a woman you been dating,the the chances are a complaint will be issued against you..with certain charges which the police thinks are appropriate.Now it is the police and your lawyer game.If you choose to defend urself,then matters can go worse.I would say get a lawyer and fight this case.If i were you,i would get some legal help and ask for a bench trial from the court.I just don;t trust the jury :).:confused:

Just Blue

if she is a woman you been dating,the the chances are a complaint will be issued against you..with certain charges which the police thinks are appropriate.Now it is the police and your lawyer game.If you choose to defend urself,then matters can go worse.I would say get a lawyer and fight this case.If i were you,i would get some legal help and ask for a bench trial from the court.I just don;t trust the jury :).:confused:
Please don't post to dead threads. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">