• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acod

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissDomino

What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested when I was 17 while someone else was driving my car. I told the cops it was my car and to arrest me (I was in the passenger seat while pulled over). I wanted to save my friend from arrest. They breathalized me and I had .002 (zero tolerance). MY friend made a statement and said that he was driving my car and drinking, etc. I then made a statement and said that I was not driving my car, he was. Later on, detectives came to my house and arrested me for Obstruction of Justice. I hired a lawyer and I got an ACOD and a sealed record. I am freaking out because I am applying to law schools now and I do not know what to say on my applications...I am only applying to schools that do not inquire about arrests.
Was the ACOD a guilty plea?
The zero tolerance was dropped...was that a drinking offense?
What do I have to disclose?
Do I need to expunge my record?
Do I have a record..i was 17 and got the acod
Will I not be admitted to the bar in the future?
:(

mykoleary

You say you have a sealed record. That alone implies that you were convicted, regardless of your plea. If a school asks if you have any convictions and you lie, you may run into major problems on the required ethics background for the bar.

You may not get caught, in fact it may be highly unlikely. But, you have to ask yourself that if in a highly ethical profession if you want to start it out with a lie?

Fess up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">