• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on missed court fine, distance issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ty0604

Washington

Last year I was arrested for a class c misdemeanor and I was ordered to pay a fine. I made a contract with the court saying I would stay out of trouble for a year and the year will be up on September 29th. I moved not long after this was resolved and lost the paperwork and thought I had until the 29th of this month to pay the fine but after speaking with my former attorney (she withdrew from the case after the contract was signed) realized I only had until August 29th to pay it. I'm sure there's probably a warrant out for my arrest now. Here's the issue. I now live in Portland, Oregon and the fine is due in Spokane, Washington, over 7 hours away. The fine has to be paid in person and my attorney didn't seem to think they would make an exception for me. I simply don't have the money to travel to Spokane to pay the fine. I don't drive so I would have to fly or take Amtrak.

It sounds like I'm SOL here but thought I would see what others thought. What the heck am I suppose to do if I can't make it there? Should I call the prosecutors office directly? Try mailing it with a letter explaining my situation and hope they accept? Go turn myself in? Would the cops in Portland even care to hold me and extradite me over a small fine? I work full-time and go to school so I'm a little worried.

The fine is all of $173.26 by the way.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Washington

Last year I was arrested for a class c misdemeanor and I was ordered to pay a fine. I made a contract with the court saying I would stay out of trouble for a year and the year will be up on September 29th. I moved not long after this was resolved and lost the paperwork and thought I had until the 29th of this month to pay the fine but after speaking with my former attorney (she withdrew from the case after the contract was signed) realized I only had until August 29th to pay it. I'm sure there's probably a warrant out for my arrest now. Here's the issue. I now live in Portland, Oregon and the fine is due in Spokane, Washington, over 7 hours away. The fine has to be paid in person and my attorney didn't seem to think they would make an exception for me. I simply don't have the money to travel to Spokane to pay the fine. I don't drive so I would have to fly or take Amtrak.

It sounds like I'm SOL here but thought I would see what others thought. What the heck am I suppose to do if I can't make it there? Should I call the prosecutors office directly? Try mailing it with a letter explaining my situation and hope they accept? Go turn myself in? Would the cops in Portland even care to hold me and extradite me over a small fine? I work full-time and go to school so I'm a little worried.

The fine is all of $176.83 by the way.

Have you called the issuing court and asked them about this?

What kind of ticket are we talking about? (WA even lets you pay a traffic ticket online) If it's traffic, you can go here: http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/paying-traffic-tickets.php

If it's not traffic, please clarify.

Ty0604

It's not a traffic ticket. After my girl friend and I broke up and I threw her stuff out so I was charged with malicious mischief and I had to pay restitution. I was able to find my paperwork so let me clarify a few things.

I had to pay a $150 restitution fee to the county, which was due by 08/29/12. I paid that sometime in September of last year so that's not an issue.

In the "Notes" section in the bottom of my contract it says the following... "The defendant shall pay $173.26 to (ex's name), payable through his attorney."

It doesn't say that was due before 08/29/12. It also says to pay it through my attorney. My attorney says I need to pay it through the prosecutor. Absolutely nowhere does it say that amount was due before 08/29/12.

$173.26 is the amount of the items lost that I threw out.

Hopefully that's enough clarification.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, you've clarified that your original post is now totally irrelevant.

Go ahead and pay your fine and be done with it.

Ty0604

Have you called the issuing court and asked them about this?
And no, it was after 5 last night before I discovered this. I happened to catch my former attorney at her office late last night. The courts were closed for the weekend by then.

Ty0604

Yes, you've clarified that your original post is now totally irrelevant.

Go ahead and pay your fine and be done with it.
It's not irrelevant. Obviously you missed the part where they want me to pay it in person when I have no way of doing such and the issue with who to pay it to and the dates.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's not irrelevant. Obviously you missed the part where they want me to pay it in person when I have no way of doing such and the issue with who to pay it to and the dates.
Yes, it is irrelevant.

What you thought you owed has been paid already. That was payable to the court.

You apparently still need to pay the victim, which is apparently some type of restitution. The court wanted you to pay it through your attorney - that does NOT require any personal appearance. If you're having a problem getting your attorney to do what she is supposed to that is a different issue entirely and totally irrelevant to the first post.

dave33

It's not a traffic ticket. After my girl friend and I broke up and I threw her stuff out so I was charged with malicious mischief and I had to pay restitution. I was able to find my paperwork so let me clarify a few things.

I had to pay a $150 restitution fee to the county, which was due by 08/29/12. I paid that sometime in September of last year so that's not an issue.

In the "Notes" section in the bottom of my contract it says the following... "The defendant shall pay $173.26 to (ex's name), payable through his attorney."

It doesn't say that was due before 08/29/12. It also says to pay it through my attorney. My attorney says I need to pay it through the prosecutor. Absolutely nowhere does it say that amount was due before 08/29/12.

$173.26 is the amount of the items lost that I threw out.

Hopefully that's enough clarification.

The money owed to the state which you paid is the court cost, the money owed to the victim is the restitution. You should pay the restitution get a receipt and than contact the clerks office and find out about the warrant. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">