• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice on sentencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R_B_H

What is the name of your state? maine

after much talking from my court appointed lawyer I was convinced to accept an alfred plea, and sentencing is in a week from now, this is the 1st time ever I have been convicted of anything, I have a super clean bkgrd.

my question (s) is; can the judge give less jail time than the agreed plea during sentencing? and is there a Pre sentencing investigation done? I have been told that I can only have one done in an open plea, and that one is not nessesary in an accepted agreement,
also can I have people there to stand up and say nice things about me to the judge, ( my lawyer has said I can have all the character wittness's I want there)
and finally can a plea be retracted at the sentencing? all my lawyer has done since march of 05 is get the court hearings continued,and has not really talked to me much about my case at all. I feel that I was pressured into accepting the plea by my lawyer.

as far as I know the only thing the judge has heard of my case is the aggravating factors in the case from the DA. 10 yrs with all but 3 1/2 yrs suspended, 10 yrs probation, and a life time registry seems like overkill for a 1st time offender (who is not guilty).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">