• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After the Fact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drew1216b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan. My girlfriend was driving her car and we got puled over. The cop asked if there were any drugs in the car and she turned them over. She ended up going to jail but they relinquished the car to me. I go to bail her out and they write me a ticket for possession at the police station. Can they do that after they said i was free to go?

CdwJava

Apparently they can do that because they DID do it. Even if, somehow, the citation was not permitted under the law, they can still pursue the criminal charge through the DA so even if you do not have to appear on the court date on the citation, you would likely still have to deal with this charge.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">