• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agencies investigating unrelated crimes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1stAmend

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I posted on another thread, but I have a semi-related question. Without getting into details, I was raided and had computers and possessions confiscated. They had warrants, but as everyone knows, it doesn't take much to get warrants. I am not guilty of what the warrants were issued for and the majority of agents that raided are in a department that is for specific crimes. None of the warrants have anything to do with what this agency investigates, but my lawyer said any agency has the right to be present at a raid. Now, it's been over a year and this same agency still HAS THE CASE. I have not been charged with anything, but they refuse to release any of my belongings.
My question is this - I know I have not commited any crimes that this agency is responsible for dealing with. Can this agency also investigate other charges or if they had evidence, would my case be transferred to the proper department? I feel this is a legal form of harassment, this agency had the opportunity to seize my possessions and now has the statute of limitations to let them collect dust. I am just curious if they are legally able to investigate alledged charges that are unrelated to the specific realm they deal with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">