• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alabama Statue of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crawdaddyus

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Recently I recieved a letter in the mail about a warrant for my arrest. The letter stated that I owed money of some bad checks. I had lived in the town, 10 years ago, and visit in-laws on occation, but have not used a check in that town for at least 10 years. The town is in Alabama. My question is, what is the statue of limitations on bad checks and can they really issue a warrant after the expiration? Should I be worried, or is it some ploy to get me to send money. The letter, although looking somewhat official, was signed by some sort of investigator. I went to the web site, that was on the letter, and it looks like the district attorney for that county is running some sort of debt collection service. Should I even respond to it?

weenor

Of course you should respond. The SOL for the charge is tolled with the issuance of the warrant. That means that if the charge was issued within the applicable SOL, the warrant can be served at any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">