• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

allowed time for a search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamike0928

What is the name of your state? montana
i was accused of a crime and the police asked me if they could search my computer. i let them, then had second throughts about this, i called a lawyer and he said to try and get it back, and not help the police with the investigation, so we could see how far they want to take it. my pc was already in their coustody so when i asked for it back they gave me a search warrent. this was issued on july 12, 2003...how long are they allowed to keep my computer before they have to either charge me or give it back ?

HomeGuru

tamike0928 said:
What is the name of your state? montana
i was accused of a crime and the police asked me if they could search my computer. i let them, then had second throughts about this, i called a lawyer and he said to try and get it back, and not help the police with the investigation, so we could see how far they want to take it. my pc was already in their coustody so when i asked for it back they gave me a search warrent. this was issued on july 12, 2003...how long are they allowed to keep my computer before they have to either charge me or give it back ?
**A: what is on your computer that you are so worried about? It can't have a history of this website.

JETX

"how long are they allowed to keep my computer before they have to either charge me or give it back ?"
*** There is no statutory timeline on when the property must be returned. Your attorney would need to file a motion with the court asking that it be returned within a 'reasonable' amount of time. If granted, the court would set the date of return...... or them to file charges.

T

tamike0928

Re: Re: allowed time for a search

HomeGuru said:
**A: what is on your computer that you are so worried about? It can't have a history of this website.
the search is for "adults engaging in sexual activity" there is none on the PC but even if there were i am over 18 years old, and have the right to view that "perverted crap" if i should choose to, i would just like my $1500 peice of equipment back.

T

tamike0928

there is more to the story, but the question still remains the same. and i didnt mean to get you going. i am just ignoriant to the law.

HomeGuru

tamike0928 said:
there is more to the story, but the question still remains the same. and i didnt mean to get you going. i am just ignoriant to the law.
**A: now you really got me going. What is ignoriant?

T

tamike0928

i dont even know if its spelled right, but it basically means that someone know nothing or very little about a subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">