• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I going to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manda16

Im so worried and scared. I'm 7 months pregnant and made such a little stupid mistake. I was at the dollar store with my boyfriend and he purchased two DVDs. We are tight on money and I wanted to see his movie with him. I was stupid and opened the case and just put he DVD in my purse. We proceeded to the checkout and he pur based what else we had. I guess the store manager was suspicious and found the case I left behind and called the local officer to question us. He questioned my boyfriend who had nothing on him and the cop wasn't going to question me. But I felt way too guilty and scared and didn't want to go through with it since it was my first time ever stealing anything and definitely my last. I was honest and told the officer I took a DVD and gave the DVD to him. He was kind and understanding. He spoke with the manager and she said hey have a policy in there store about retail theft. The DVD was 8$ or less. The officer said I will receive a citation in the mail. I I am almost done my ARD program for drug paraphernalia. I get done next month. I never had any other bad records ever in my life and I never violated my probation for the year I was on it. I am going to speak to my PO Lynn tomorrow. I am so scared because I am so dumb for doing something so stupid. And I refuse to go to jail especially when I returned the DVS. I admitted to my wrongs. I am almost having my second child. And I am almost done my ard! My boyfriend says I'm doing jail time. And some websites on the internet as well. Please someone help me understand what will happen. I don't deserve a huge punishment. Can I just get a warning and a fine? Do I plead guilty or not guilty?? What is going to happen? I'm having anxiety attacks.

adjusterjack

You "refuse" to go to jail? Seriously?

You might not have a choice.

I suggest you hire yourself a good criminal defense attorney before you do something equally stupid like opening your mouth and being honest again.

LdiJ

You "refuse" to go to jail? Seriously?

You might not have a choice.

I suggest you hire yourself a good criminal defense attorney before you do something equally stupid like opening your mouth and being honest again.
But do not hire the attorney until you actually receive the citation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
By the way, what state is this?

No legal advice, just an FYI: you might have been able to check out the same video from your local library for *free*.

I have found that, even if the movie isn't at my local library, I can request it online through inter-library loan from our regional library network.

I do not know what legal consequences you are facing, but I've heard that even minor crimes are considered parole violations. Because of this, you face more severe consequences than someone who is not on parole.

quincy

Im so worried and scared. I'm 7 months pregnant and made such a little stupid mistake. I was at the dollar store with my boyfriend and he purchased two DVDs. We are tight on money and I wanted to see his movie with him. I was stupid and opened the case and just put he DVD in my purse. We proceeded to the checkout and he pur based what else we had. I guess the store manager was suspicious and found the case I left behind and called the local officer to question us. He questioned my boyfriend who had nothing on him and the cop wasn't going to question me. But I felt way too guilty and scared and didn't want to go through with it since it was my first time ever stealing anything and definitely my last. I was honest and told the officer I took a DVD and gave the DVD to him. He was kind and understanding. He spoke with the manager and she said hey have a policy in there store about retail theft. The DVD was 8$ or less. The officer said I will receive a citation in the mail. I I am almost done my ARD program for drug paraphernalia. I get done next month. I never had any other bad records ever in my life and I never violated my probation for the year I was on it. I am going to speak to my PO Lynn tomorrow. I am so scared because I am so dumb for doing something so stupid. And I refuse to go to jail especially when I returned the DVS. I admitted to my wrongs. I am almost having my second child. And I am almost done my ard! My boyfriend says I'm doing jail time. And some websites on the internet as well. Please someone help me understand what will happen. I don't deserve a huge punishment. Can I just get a warning and a fine? Do I plead guilty or not guilty?? What is going to happen? I'm having anxiety attacks.
Because you mention ARD (Accelerated Rehabilitation Diversion), I will assume you are in Pennsylvania.

ARD is a Pennsylvania diversion program available to first offenders, offered at the discretion of the District Attorney. If the DA approves a first offender for ARD, the offender has the opportunity to escape jail, large fines and having a criminal record by meeting all terms and conditions set out by the DA during a probationary period (which is usually set at one year). When all terms and conditions are completed to the satisfaction of the DA, the original charge is dismissed and the arrest record can be expunged.

The ARD program you are "almost done with" is, however and unfortunately for you, subject to revocation if you fail to complete all terms of the program OR if you commit another criminal offense during your probationary period.

When you violate the conditions of your probation, you can be removed from the program and you do not receive credit for any fees/costs paid or any parts of the program (like community service) already completed. You are re-sentenced on the original charge.

Your arrest for drug paraphernalia, depending on facts, was probably charged as a misdemeanor subject to a $2500 fine and up to one year in jail if convicted. Whether jail is a realistic concern for you is something I can't tell you - but it is a possibility under the law.

In addition to the jail time you now face with your violation, you also face the theft charge and potentially a civil action filed against you by Dollar Store, should the Dollar Store decide to sue you.

You need to speak to an attorney in your area.

Prosehelp

Talk to the public defender before you say anything to your PO. I am sorry for the situation and fear you will find yourself in now. It is real. Make arrangements ahead of time now for a probable arrest & sentencing as well as new charges and bond. Unfortunately, a "little mistake" is unlikely to be met with understanding. That is why everyone is cautioning you regarding stupidity. The court system and PO are not your friends in this matter.

quincy

Talk to the public defender before you say anything to your PO. I am sorry for the situation and fear you will find yourself in now. It is real. Make arrangements ahead of time now for a probable arrest & sentencing as well as new charges and bond. Unfortunately, a "little mistake" is unlikely to be met with understanding. That is why everyone is cautioning you regarding stupidity. The court system and PO are not your friends in this matter.
Manda16 wrote on the 15th that she was going to be speaking to her probation officer on the 16th. She has not returned to the forum to indicate whether she spoke to her probation officer or not but, under standard conditions of probation, a probationer is required to report to their probation officer any time there is involvement with law enforcement.

Although there is a very off-chance that Manda16 will not be charged with theft, if she IS charged with theft, her probation officer will know of it before she is in court to see if she qualifies for a public defender - hence the earlier advice to seek out an attorney in her area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">