• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Gonna Get Charged With Credit Card Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ian411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My friend is disputing $300 dollars worth of charges made on his credit card account. The thing is he put his credit card information on my online food ordering account. So on my account was my credit card information and his also on the account. I used mine to make orders for me and he used his to make orders for him. The only thing is, is that my contact info is all on of his orders. So basically my name and number are connected to his credit card on any orders that he made. He thinks he can get that money back from the bank by disputing the card. He cancelled the card, got them to send him a new one and took it off my account. My question is whether or not I could be in trouble for fraud? He told the bank that he never made the charges. But I'm left with those orders tracing back to my name...

What happens?

sandyclaus

My friend is disputing $300 dollars worth of charges made on his credit card account. The thing is he put his credit card information on my online food ordering account. So on my account was my credit card information and his also on the account. I used mine to make orders for me and he used his to make orders for him. The only thing is, is that my contact info is all on of his orders. So basically my name and number are connected to his credit card on any orders that he made. He thinks he can get that money back from the bank by disputing the card. He cancelled the card, got them to send him a new one and took it off my account. My question is whether or not I could be in trouble for fraud? He told the bank that he never made the charges. But I'm left with those orders tracing back to my name...

What happens?
Sure, it's possible. However, if he intends to follow through with a claim for unauthorized transactions, most banks would require the customer to file a fraud claim with the police before they are willing to pursue the matter. Has your friend done that? Can you prove that HIS name appears on YOUR account for your orders? If so, there may be a plausible defense.

If it goes that far, DO NOT answer any questions by police. Exercise your right to remain silent, and don't speak or answer questions unless your attorney is present.

HomeGuru

How is it that one single account can have 2 names and 2 separate credit card info? It is the friend that has committed the fraud.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How is it that one single account can have 2 names and 2 separate credit card info? It is the friend that has committed the fraud.
The account with the merchant has one name. The credit cards on file can have different information.

ETA: For example, I have an Amazon Prime account. I also use the acct for business purchases - different ship to, bill to & CC info. It all shows as "me" just different payment info.

HomeGuru

The account with the merchant has one name. The credit cards on file can have different information.

ETA: For example, I have an Amazon Prime account. I also use the acct for business purchases - different ship to, bill to & CC info. It all shows as "me" just different payment info.
**A: I read the post wrong. So in this case, the OP can be accused not only with fraud but aiding and abetting. I guess these guys were not ordering brain food.

dave33

What happens?
Yes, you can get in trouble. Anyone who investigates this will come to the conclusion that you stole the card and put the #'s on your account, used the card and than took the card off the account to try and hide the fact that the unauthorized charges are in your name. This "friend" obviously has no regard for you and the punishment you can face. I would tell him to contact the credit card company and tell them he made a mistake and did authorize the charges. If he chooses not to then tell him you will not be involved in his/her stupid idea. This is certainly no friend of yours. goodluck.

ian411

Geez he's adamant several of the charges are unauthorized. the only problem is that I've let friends order off my account provided they give me cash back and same for him. If it comes to it, will my defense be he authorized any charges to be made on my account when he put his card on it...

I'm pretty confused how this works because its not like i took his card and stole the information. I cant go down for this stupid ****

swalsh411

At this point the issue is between your "friend" and the credit card and you are only indirectly involved.

I would send a payment on your own to your "food ordering" account. So that way if the charge is reversed your won't have a negative balance with the merchant.

ian411

Update

Ok so my "friend" got his new card and the $300 refunded. Apparently there is still an ongoing investigation into the "fraud". Apparently the bank has a list of people they suspect... yet I haven't been contacted by anyone. Honestly this is bull****, if I get questioned I'm gonna say that he put his card on my account, and authorized every charge on his card, ordered the food, I would receive a call that it was there and he or I would go down and get it. What is the most likely scenario to come out of this? I just don't see how I can get in trouble. Not only is it over $300, but I have a bulletproof defense.

Any ideas?

swalsh411

You aren't as smart as you think you are. There are lots of people sitting in prison right now who thought they had a "bulletproof defense" and "couldn't possibly get in trouble".

If, contacted by the police, shut up. Say nothing except you will not answer any questions without an attorney present.

But you strike me as the kind of guy who thinks he knows better than the police and can talk his way out of it. Those people usually end up being charged with crimes because detectives are very good at getting suspects to admit to things.

HomeGuru

Geez he's adamant several of the charges are unauthorized. the only problem is that I've let friends order off my account provided they give me cash back and same for him. If it comes to it, will my defense be he authorized any charges to be made on my account when he put his card on it...

I'm pretty confused how this works because its not like i took his card and stole the information. I cant go down for this stupid ****
**A: so you were part of the scheme, great.

ian411

Well here is where I'm at.

The guy is disputing every charge made on his card. He's claiming that I made $450 worth of charges. I'm going to hire a lawyer. How are my chances looking?

swalsh411

You don't need a lawyer yet unless contacted by the police. If that happens see my earlier advice.

And how would you even know what this person was claiming if you were not talking to the police? Stop talking to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">