• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I self incriminating by submitting reporting an internet crime anonymously?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

varxtis

California:
Ok, so without going into any major detail, I made horrible mistake in following a certain "wikipedia/pinterest" spiralling strand of curiosity, and ended up in a place i did NOT want to be. I was disgusted and horrified at what I saw, and need to report it. You know how on wikipedia/pinterest you search one thing and some how an hour later you're looking at something where the word "unrelated" doesnt even come close? Lets say it took you 10 links or steps to get there. Well using this analogy, I usually dabble in the 5th link, still someplace admittedly I really shouldn't be anyway.
I want to report links/site 5-10 as 10 was Absolutely inexcusably bad, and 5 wasn't really something that can be excused either. Am I making any sense? Anyway, if I report a crime so authorities can hopefully shutdown these sites/files, but I do so anonymously, is my IP recorded where they could link it to me anyway?

LdiJ

California:
Ok, so without going into any major detail, I made horrible mistake in following a certain "wikipedia/pinterest" spiralling strand of curiosity, and ended up in a place i did NOT want to be. I was disgusted and horrified at what I saw, and need to report it. You know how on wikipedia/pinterest you search one thing and some how an hour later you're looking at something where the word "unrelated" doesnt even come close? Lets say it took you 10 links or steps to get there. Well using this analogy, I usually dabble in the 5th link, still someplace admittedly I really shouldn't be anyway.
I want to report links/site 5-10 as 10 was Absolutely inexcusably bad, and 5 wasn't really something that can be excused either. Am I making any sense? Anyway, if I report a crime so authorities can hopefully shutdown these sites/files, but I do so anonymously, is my IP recorded where they could link it to me anyway?
Try here:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber

varxtis

I appreciate the link, but it seems mainly to list services and programs, as well as their list of ongoing investigations and successful take-downs. I tried to search for information regarding "Tips", "reporting (a) crime(s)" and "Anonymous", but the only thing that really came back, that wasn't in some way referencing to a case or service/program, was "Tip" in which a person may submit a tip and doesn't even have an "Anonymous" option. There doesn't seem to be any information regarding how a person is protected or affected when using "Anonymous" options when submitting online reports of online crimes.
Ultimately this does have to be reported, all of it... but as pathetic and vain as it may be, I'd like to to know what to expect if my IP comes up as having visited site 5 on numerous occasions even though I only visited 10 once. Will me submitting a report, anonymously or not anonymously, bring more attention to my IP?

tranquility

I'd forget about it other than cleaning off your computer with core level overwriting. Many have gone to bad places with no intent. I suspect, unless you have gone to a uniquely bad place, those who enforce the law are aware. You should focus on yourself over the public good.

Don't go there. Wipe the files and free space on your drives. Look up only good and healthy things from now on. It might not save you in the long run if the lack of equal protection nonsense of the modern world has a prosecutor who wants to make his bones on you. Yet, think of convincing a jury. Delete things. Make them go away as hard as technically possible. The government does not need your help. They have guys. If you think people will die or be hurt in the near term and the government has no idea, write back. (In general.) There may be other suggestions.

varxtis

:( sadly, I see your point. Thank you. Too long Ive broached the area superficially, but this was a rude and outright disturbing awakening. I'm stayin' away from it. Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">