• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another walmart problem for consideration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbis02

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I hope this is the right place for this, please be kind if it isn't... :) I'm sure this isn't the first time you've had a question about walmart. I own some pop machines. I went to purchase my weekly 50 cases or so of pop from walmart. I had them loaded on a large L shaped cart. On the way up to the checkout I picked out a couple of halloween decorations. (some lights, and a fake skeleton) which I set on top of the pop. The cashier was the same lady who always checked me out. She walked out from behind her register with her wireless scanner, and counted, scanned, and rung up all the items on the cart... at least I thought she did. I was stopped at the door by a loss prevention lady who asked to see my reciept, which I handed to her. She counted all the pop twice, then informed me that the halloween decorations had not been paid for. I was surprised and slightly embarased and asked if I could pay for them, and was told it was too late, that I had passed the last checkout. I was processed, arrested, and went to court the next day. When I was processed at walmart, I did not sign or initial anything. I was told I was banned from walmart and sams club. 2 weeks later I got through to a very nice woman who is the district LP lady for sams and walmart. After reviewing the case/files/evidence, she got back to me, apologized that it had happened, and told me I was allowed back in both sams and walmart, and she didn't know why I had been arrested in the first place. Thank god for my frineds father who came to court, and was able to guide me through getting pre-trial diversion for the charge of criminal conversion. He told me it was the same as if I went to trial and was found not guilty. He said the only thing on my record would be that I was arrested. It has been a year and a half since that incident. I have stayed out of trouble and it was my understanding the charges were then dismissed after the pre trial diversion period was over. Here's what I don't understand... why do I keep getting letters from walmart saying I have to pay them money? I would certainly understand if a person who was trying to steal something was found guilty and then had to pay walmart for their trouble, but why in an instance like this? My first letter was saying I had to pay 100 dollars, the second was 200 it has been every 6 months or so and the most recent is a bill for 375. What can happen if I don't pay? Do I ever get a chance to defend myslef from having to pay this bill? My familly and I struggle to stay afloat, 375 would be very hard to pay.
I am sorry this is so long, I was trying to make sure I didn't leave anything out.
Thanks
Seth

seniorjudge

corbis02 said:

I hope this is the right place for this, please be kind if it isn't... :) I'm sure this isn't the first time you've had a question about walmart. I own some pop machines. I went to purchase my weekly 50 cases or so of pop from walmart. I had them loaded on a large L shaped cart. On the way up to the checkout I picked out a couple of halloween decorations. (some lights, and a fake skeleton) which I set on top of the pop. The cashier was the same lady who always checked me out. She walked out from behind her register with her wireless scanner, and counted, scanned, and rung up all the items on the cart... at least I thought she did. I was stopped at the door by a loss prevention lady who asked to see my reciept, which I handed to her. She counted all the pop twice, then informed me that the halloween decorations had not been paid for. I was surprised and slightly embarased and asked if I could pay for them, and was told it was too late, that I had passed the last checkout. I was processed, arrested, and went to court the next day. When I was processed at walmart, I did not sign or initial anything. I was told I was banned from walmart and sams club. 2 weeks later I got through to a very nice woman who is the district LP lady for sams and walmart. After reviewing the case/files/evidence, she got back to me, apologized that it had happened, and told me I was allowed back in both sams and walmart, and she didn't know why I had been arrested in the first place. Thank god for my frineds father who came to court, and was able to guide me through getting pre-trial diversion for the charge of criminal conversion. He told me it was the same as if I went to trial and was found not guilty. He said the only thing on my record would be that I was arrested. It has been a year and a half since that incident. I have stayed out of trouble and it was my understanding the charges were then dismissed after the pre trial diversion period was over. Here's what I don't understand... why do I keep getting letters from walmart saying I have to pay them money? I would certainly understand if a person who was trying to steal something was found guilty and then had to pay walmart for their trouble, but why in an instance like this? My first letter was saying I had to pay 100 dollars, the second was 200 it has been every 6 months or so and the most recent is a bill for 375. What can happen if I don't pay? Do I ever get a chance to defend myslef from having to pay this bill? My familly and I struggle to stay afloat, 375 would be very hard to pay.
I am sorry this is so long, I was trying to make sure I didn't leave anything out.
Thanks
Seth

Q: Here's what I don't understand... why do I keep getting letters from walmart saying I have to pay them money?

A: This has nothing to do with the criminal charges. WM wants you to pay them for all the trouble you put them through.

CalifAtty-4

corbis02 said:

Thanks
Seth

My response:

We have a "search" button. Use it. Use "Wal-Mart".

IAAL

CdwJava

corbis02 said:
Here's what I don't understand... why do I keep getting letters from walmart saying I have to pay them money? I would certainly understand if a person who was trying to steal something was found guilty and then had to pay walmart for their trouble, but why in an instance like this? My first letter was saying I had to pay 100 dollars, the second was 200 it has been every 6 months or so and the most recent is a bill for 375. What can happen if I don't pay? Do I ever get a chance to defend myslef from having to pay this bill? My familly and I struggle to stay afloat, 375 would be very hard to pay.
Thanks
Seth
It's a civil demand notice where they seek compensation for the time and expense of dealing with your event. It is separate from the criminal matter. You can dispute the matter with Wal-Mart, or, you can wait for them to take you to civil court or to collections, or, you can pay it.

I don't know how this works in your state, but you might be able to do some research on the issue and see how it works and what (if any) options are available to you in IN.

- Carl

Kane

Well, if it were me, I'd throw them away. But you should prob pay for the skeletons, or whatever, if you haven't already.

Send along a letter saying the check represents payment in full, and write something similar on the check itself.

corbis02

well, that's an interesting idea, but I don't have the items that they said I was trying to take, they wouldn't allow me to pay for them, and set them on a shelf in the room where they processed me. Would that make any difference, paying them, even though I don't have the items?

CdwJava

corbis02 said:
well, that's an interesting idea, but I don't have the items that they said I was trying to take, they wouldn't allow me to pay for them, and set them on a shelf in the room where they processed me. Would that make any difference, paying them, even though I don't have the items?
It doesn't matter that you have the items, the fee is a civil punishent to compensate them for the time, effort and expense of dealing with you.

- Carl

lbb87

I thought stores like Walmart had video/security cameras at the checkout and that everything was recorded onto videotape. If that's true, why didn't anyone check it? It should've showed what really happened.

CdwJava

lbb87 said:
I thought stores like Walmart had video/security cameras at the checkout and that everything was recorded onto videotape. If that's true, why didn't anyone check it? It should've showed what really happened.
It would have showed the OP taking a skeleton out after not paying for it. It might have shown the skeleton costume on top of the pile ... or maybe it didn't. It could also be that they don't have cameras in position there. Not every store is wired so completely.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">