• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Answering machine tape admissable in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamaj

What is the name of your state? PA.
My daughter was in a relationship with a ex durg offender , thief. They took off and went to canada for a few days and I didn't know where she was ,so I called his home and made a few threats on his answering machine like I will see you back in jail if anything happens to my daughter and I dont remember what else I said, Now 2 1/2 years later we are in a battle over my daughter getting full custody of her son they had together,he all of a sudden wants to be a dad after all this time, Could he use that tape in court as a threat if he still had it? I do not want to hurt my daughters chance to win her custody of her son because they live with me and I did not mean any harm I was just concerned for her safety, PLEASE HELP ME I am so worried about this I really should not have done that but I told him I was sorry and he said it was ok forget it. I would like an answer so I can sleep right again. :(

Son of Slam

mamaj said:
What is the name of your state? PA.
My daughter was in a relationship with a ex durg offender , thief. They took off and went to canada for a few days and I didn't know where she was ,so I called his home and made a few threats on his answering machine like I will see you back in jail if anything happens to my daughter and I dont remember what else I said, Now 2 1/2 years later we are in a battle over my daughter getting full custody of her son they had together,he all of a sudden wants to be a dad after all this time, Could he use that tape in court as a threat if he still had it? I do not want to hurt my daughters chance to win her custody of her son because they live with me and I did not mean any harm I was just concerned for her safety, PLEASE HELP ME I am so worried about this I really should not have done that but I told him I was sorry and he said it was ok forget it. I would like an answer so I can sleep right again. :(

***Sure, he could use it in court. The question might be, would he want to? Would it open a can of worms that could slime on him?

B

Boxcarbill

The threshold question for any testimony or exhibit to be admissible at trial is relevancy. While family law is notorious for everyone wanting to drag up everything and everyone that they can think of which could offer a little more mud, judges don't want to hear it and so are more than willing to sustain any objection to testimony or exhibits which they can eliminate. So unless this telephone call has some relevancy to an issue which is in dispute in this case, it isn't coming in over an objection. Are you even a party to the suit who is seeking custody of the child?

Last edited:
M

mamaj

Thank You Mr Boxcar , I am the Grandmother of the child and my daughter was messed up in this bad relationship with this man and when the child was born the fights started he went his way with a new woman and her son and had a child with this man , my grandson is 2 and the baby to the other woman is going to be 1 in November , Now he wants my grandson because my daughter took him for the child support , and the mess goes on. He has been arrested and served 18 months in jail for selling cocaine to an undercover police officer, has theft charges and assult charges , well I just thank you for the info. and hope all goes well at the court hearing for visitation.
mamaj

M

mamaj

son of slam

Thank You also Now I do understand more, I will never forget the advice which I recieve from anyone . Regards mamaj

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">