• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ImAmOrOn

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Ok, I will start by saying I know now that this was stupid. I was recently arrested for disorderly conduct. The story goes like this: I was tailgating for a gophers football game on a Saturday(the lot we were tailgatin in does allow tailgaters and even kegs). I noticed that two of my friends were in trouble by the cops a little ways away. I went over there to see if there was anything I could do, and make sure they werent in a fight or anything like that. I was about 4ft behind one of the bike cops and he notice me, and very rudely told me to stand back. I walked over to the other bike cop and asked if he was always that mean, he said yes and told me to leave the area. I did, walking about 40ft or so away and waited for my friends. I found out they got public urination tickets. I confused the consiquences of that and pubic exposure(or whatever its called) when you have to register as a sex offender. A few minutes later the cops emerged from accross the street and i walked over to them. I told them i thought that was f-ed up and that i thought it was bs. Everything I said to them was stated as an opinion, I didnt call them names or anything like that. They seemed to be entertaining the conversation(not leaving, not telling me to leave). One of the cops called me a "drunk punk" which changed the direction of the conversation. I started defending myself, tellin them I was not very drunk(I had been at the tailgating lot for about 4 hours and had about 6-7 beers after eating a FULL meal). I told him he could give me a breathalyzer if he wanted, and he didnt. I was about to leave and i told them that i just thought it was f-ed up that they wouldnt just tell them to get out of there(my friends). At that one of them pulled his bike right up to me and asked if thats how I really felt, and I said yes. He got off his bike and put me under arrest for disorderly conduct. The whole conversation lasted between 5 and 10 mins. After I had the cuffs on I told him he was an a-hole, which was the first/only insult I gave him. I had no idea you could get arrested for giving your opinion, even if it was based on bad information. I've kept myself out of trouble since 9/04(DWI), with one charge before that when I was 18. There is a chance I could lose my job over this due to my inability to work at some of the stores I do work for, but There is no way I could afford a lawyer. Was this arrest just? I wasn't really acting disorderly. Would it be worth it to fight this, or should I just plead guilty? Would I be able to get this expunged?
Thanks for your time and any advice given. Sorry for the novel.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Ok, I will start by saying I know now that this was stupid. I was recently arrested for disorderly conduct. The story goes like this: I was tailgating for a gophers football game on a Saturday(the lot we were tailgatin in does allow tailgaters and even kegs). I noticed that two of my friends were in trouble by the cops a little ways away. I went over there to see if there was anything I could do, and make sure they werent in a fight or anything like that. I was about 4ft behind one of the bike cops and he notice me, and very rudely told me to stand back. I walked over to the other bike cop and asked if he was always that mean, he said yes and told me to leave the area. I did, walking about 40ft or so away and waited for my friends. I found out they got public urination tickets. I confused the consiquences of that and pubic exposure(or whatever its called) when you have to register as a sex offender. A few minutes later the cops emerged from accross the street and i walked over to them. I told them i thought that was f-ed up and that i thought it was bs. Everything I said to them was stated as an opinion, I didnt call them names or anything like that. They seemed to be entertaining the conversation(not leaving, not telling me to leave). One of the cops called me a "drunk punk" which changed the direction of the conversation. I started defending myself, tellin them I was not very drunk(I had been at the tailgating lot for about 4 hours and had about 6-7 beers after eating a FULL meal). I told him he could give me a breathalyzer if he wanted, and he didnt. I was about to leave and i told them that i just thought it was f-ed up that they wouldnt just tell them to get out of there(my friends). At that one of them pulled his bike right up to me and asked if thats how I really felt, and I said yes. He got off his bike and put me under arrest for disorderly conduct. The whole conversation lasted between 5 and 10 mins. After I had the cuffs on I told him he was an a-hole, which was the first/only insult I gave him. I had no idea you could get arrested for giving your opinion, even if it was based on bad information. I've kept myself out of trouble since 9/04(DWI), with one charge before that when I was 18. There is a chance I could lose my job over this due to my inability to work at some of the stores I do work for, but There is no way I could afford a lawyer. Was this arrest just? I wasn't really acting disorderly. Would it be worth it to fight this, or should I just plead guilty? Would I be able to get this expunged?
Thanks for your time and any advice given. Sorry for the novel.
Q: Was this arrest just?

A: Yes.

Q: I wasn't really acting disorderly.

A: Re-read your post; you were quite disorderly.

Q: Would it be worth it to fight this, or should I just plead guilty?

A: You have given no facts which would prove you are not guilty.

Q: Would I be able to get this expunged?

A: I don't know.

The Occultist

I had been at the tailgating lot for about 4 hours and had about 6-7 beers after eating a FULL meal
For the record, eating food before drinking doesn't minimize the effects of alcohol, just merely delays the amount of time before you feel the full effects of it.

I told him he could give me a breathalyzer if he wanted, and he didnt.
Just from your own rendition of the story I wouldn't need a breathalyser to know you were intoxicated.

I had no idea you could get arrested for giving your opinion, even if it was based on bad information.
It is not your place to question an officer. If you have a problem with they way they handled a situation, you don't complain to them, you complain to their supervisor. You, however, decided to disobey an order from an officer, and then swear at them. You do have freedom of speech granted by the first amendment. You also have the right to remain silent granted by the fifth. Guess which one you should've chosen.

Was this arrest just?
Based on what you've said, I would say so.

I wasn't really acting disorderly.
I disagree.

Would it be worth it to fight this, or should I just plead guilty?
It's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth to fight it. You're the one who feels your employment could be in jeopardy over it.

I know now that this was stupid.
That is one point I will definitely agree with you on.

quincy

The Gophers turned the ball over 4 times in the first half and Adam Weber definitely looked like a freshman, however the Gophers scored touchdowns on their first 4 possessions in the second half. Weber finished with 23-of-44 for 237 yards and he rushed for 63 yards and a score. Purdue still won the game, however, 45 to Minnesota's 31.

Just in case you were in jail and missed it.

Last edited:

outonbail

The Gophers turned the ball over 4 times in the first half and Adam Weber definitely looked like a freshman, however the Gophers scored touchdowns on their first 4 possessions in the second half. Weber finished with 23-of-44 for 237 yards and he rushed for 63 yards and a score. Purdue still won the game, however, 45 to Minnesota's 31.

Just in case you were in jail and missed it.
Anyone at a tailgating party for four hours before the game, would have missed most of the action if they were sitting in the front row at the fifty yard line. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">