• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeal for Theft by Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonmaster88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I had a search warrant executed at my house on the grounds of identity theft and/ or burglaries to cars. *The warrant explicitly said identify theft in the name of "Jane Doe."*The police took multiple computers,ipods,cell phones,misc electronics and found out none of it was stolen. They did not find any instances of identity theft and or burglary. A few months after my house was raided I found out a warrant was put out for me for theft by possession. Apparently a visa gift card was among the things taken and thats what I was being charged with. I turned myself in to keep from being taken off the street. After multiple continuances in court we had a little trial thing. My lawyer was trying to get the evidence suppressed on the fact that the gift card was taken from my house, but it didn't have the person from the search warrants name on it. The warrant explicitly said they were looking for things belonging to this woman. The judge sided with the District Attorney and set a date for a trial. Is it worth it for me to get an appeals lawyer or is this a lost cause?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">