• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest based on Facebook messages about weed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buzzobee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york

Heres the deal. Me and my friend are both in our early 20s. I live at home currently and recently my parents got onto my computer where my Facebook was apparently still logged in and went through my private messages. They claim because it was their computer in their house (they gave it to me years ago for my room) that they were allowed to do that. They have boundary issues.

Anyways, they found some drug talk with one of my friends. Nothing dealing related, just that she smokes and has access to weed. They're now threatening this friend that they will call the cops on her to arrest her based off these private messages as evidence. She lives in new jersey. Do my parents have any pull in this based off just that? Will cops even bother to follow through?

Also, since then, they've been tracking everything I do with my computer and phone. I dont know how they do it as I pay for my own phone plan. Is all this a matter of invasion of privacy?

Antigone*

Heres the deal. Me and my friend are both in our early 20s. I live at home currently and recently my parents got onto my computer where my Facebook was apparently still logged in and went through my private messages. They claim because it was their computer in their house (they gave it to me years ago for my room) that they were allowed to do that. They have boundary issues.

Anyways, they found some drug talk with one of my friends. Nothing dealing related, just that she smokes and has access to weed. They're now threatening this friend that they will call the cops on her to arrest her based off these private messages as evidence. She lives in new jersey. Do my parents have any pull in this based off just that? Will cops even bother to follow through?

Also, since then, they've been tracking everything I do with my computer and phone. I dont know how they do it as I pay for my own phone plan. Is all this a matter of invasion of privacy?
Good for your parents. If you want complete privacy move out of their home. My only concern is that they have not already reported the drug activity you are involved in. As it is you are a liability in their home. They should really think twice about allowing you to stay.

Isis1

oh i've been dying for a post like this one all week!!

guess what? your parents don't have boundary issues. you have a drug problem.

can your parents file a police report? ABSOLUTELY!

will the police do anything about it? depends on who is on shift that day and if anything comes up during a probation search.

you are in their home. want privacy? MOVE OUT AND PAY YOUR OWN BILLS!

tranquility

Is all this a matter of invasion of privacy?
Sure. Your privacy was invaded. By your parents. Where you are living. What would you like to do next?

Do my parents have any pull in this based off just that? Will cops even bother to follow through?
It depends. I find it unlikely, but, if there is specific and detailed information, who knows?

Antigone*

oh i've been dying for a post like this one all week!!

guess what? your parents don't have boundary issues. you have a drug problem.

will the police do anything about it? depends on who is on shift that day and if anything comes up during a probation search.

But if he does that he won't have any money for his grass:eek:

xylene

No, not in New York or New Jersey. Police are not obliged to create a police report, they can circular file the complaint the second after they receive it.

An anonymous tip about weed possession by an adult... There are going to the swat team on that #sarcasm.

Probation? ok...

Your advice to the poster on moving out is sound, but the dealings of an adult child living with parents are governed by landlord tenant law.

Mass_Shyster

As long as your parents were not acting as agents for the police, the police can use the evidence that was obtained without a search warrant. The 4th amendment only protects against government search and seizure.

The statements do not appears sufficient to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you possessed drugs. It may be sufficient to allow the police to obtain a search warrant to search you and your friend for drugs.

Whether the police are interested in following up on this is another question entirely.

xylene

As long as your parents were not acting as agents for the police, the police can use the evidence that was obtained without a search warrant.
Of course, parents calling the police in their own state or even more comically another state and saying "I read my adult son's PMs and there were threads about the chronic" is not exactly evidence.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Curious why nobody suggested a LOCK for the room and to password protect a computer that you have purchased. In light of the fact that the OP is an adult, this no longer is a parent/ child situation, but one that is governed by landlord/ tenant laws. Now, I suggest avoiding illegals drugs also - much easier to find a job if you can drop cleanly when you apply for jobs.

In reality, a facebook message will not generate the "proof" that there is illegal drug usage - I can say all day long that I do drugs, etc and pee in a cup and be clean. (Not going to say I do drugs, but just for an example.)

Isis1

Curious why nobody suggested a LOCK for the room and to password protect a computer that you have purchased. In light of the fact that the OP is an adult, this no longer is a parent/ child situation, but one that is governed by landlord/ tenant laws. Now, I suggest avoiding illegals drugs also - much easier to find a job if you can drop cleanly when you apply for jobs.

In reality, a facebook message will not generate the "proof" that there is illegal drug usage - I can say all day long that I do drugs, etc and pee in a cup and be clean. (Not going to say I do drugs, but just for an example.)
the only reason i slightly disgree is because i've seen a judge deny someone release of probation because someone sent him a print out of the person's Facebook page citing drug use and association of people he wasn't supposed to be around. (yep....someone doesn't know how to set up their page to private.....) no pee required for that one.

and while getting a lock is a good suggestion for a tenant...the tenant needs to be made aware an eviction notice can appear on his door.

so he has to decide what consequences he wants to deal with.

Last edited:

tranquility

The problem with getting a lock on the door is that the OP would have to take his laundry out to get it done rather than just leave it on the floor and have the magic laundry fairy return it washed and folded.

BL

Ever see the commercial?

Buzzo Buzzo Buzzo , Buzzo Music.

Anyway , Why are they threatening to turn your freind in from a different State ,instead of evicting you ?

This story ,I find strange ..

swalsh411

Unlike a lot of people here, I don't believe that a person who otherwise leads a productive life has a "drug problem" because they smoke pot once in a while.

If your phone is in your name your parents are not "tracking" you without your permission. You must do a lot of drugs to be dumb enough to believe that.

As far as your computer privacy is concerned, in your settings have it clear all cookies and delete all passwords, history, etc every time you close the browser. You can do this with IE and Firefox. You'll have to type in your password each time but at least you know your messages are private.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">