• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jross26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia, I have taken out an arrest warrant on another individual for threatening me over the phone, will it be a good idea to take an attorney with me to court when I go back to present my case?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia, I have taken out an arrest warrant on another individual for threatening me over the phone, will it be a good idea to take an attorney with me to court when I go back to present my case?
If you have issued an arrest warrant, that means you are a judge, and presumably graduated from law school. I don't see why you would need an attorney.

My guess is that you filed a complaint with the police, and they, along with a prosecutor, will determine what, if anything, will happen next.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As Steve pointed out you didn't do anything of the sort. Are you sure that an arrest warrant was issued for this person?

You won't have to go to court unless the prosecutor says you have to. In that case, the prosecutor will be on your side and will discuss the case and your testimony prior to any court appearance.

FlyingRon

People, people. You need to read the STATE the poster is in. Georgia is one of the the places where a citizen can get a warrant. I suspect he means he's applied for a citizen's warrant. The next thing that happens is a warrant application hearing. This is more informal than a trial. The judge himself may ask questions to get to the bottom of the situation, still there must be probable cause and the accused can refute that cause. You're allowed an attorney but one is not required.

Note that the accused, if indigent, can get appointed counsel for this. You as the accuser can not.

Once the warrant is issued by the judge, then it's now out of your hands. As stated by the previous poster, once charges are filed, it is the STATE (in the form of the district attorney) that prosecutes from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">