• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant Matters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lynnbuggs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello, and thank you for your time, I have a bit of a troubling case I'd like help with.

Back in April 09', I had my "then" fiance removed from my father's residence of which we had been living after she attacked me. A county Sheriff's deputy picked her up on the road after she fled, but did not arrest her. The deputy came inside and questioned me, and asked me if I would like to press charges. Being nice at the time, I told her no.

A few days later my ex-fiance contacted me through e-mail, apologizing, saying she wishes she hadn't hurt me, ect. We conversed for a week or so until I heard that the county Sheriff's were looking for me to serve me papers. I reported to the Sheriff's department and received a summons for city court. The charges were 3rd Degree Domestic Assault.

I appeared to court, plead not-guilty, and asked for a public defender due to lack of funds.. The prosecuting attorney informed the judge that he would not be asking for jail time, and in turn a public defender could not be appointed. I was given a new court date, a month later June 24th, at which I could have a private lawyer or represent myself.

Well, I obtained a local lawyer, and the second court date was merely to ask for discovery. Strangely, as I was leaving, the prosecuting attorney informed the judge that there was a pending arrest warrant for me in the neighboring county that my ex now lives in. The judge informed the county Sheriff who, after running my name, told me there was in fact no warrant and that I was free to go.

A few weeks later I had an appointment with my attorney. Unfortunately while obtaining case information, he discovered there was indeed a warrant issued for my arrest on June 18th. The warrant was for "Tampering With Witness". According to the file, my ex had reported that I had sent her a threatening email. After returning home I checked my email outbox and there it was. Obviously I did not send this.

My first question is, how could they have missed that on the 24th? The county Sheriff said there was no warrant, yet it was issued on the 18th. Doesn't make sense.

Anyhow, my first lawyer refused to take the case in the other county so I found another who would. My new lawyer determined that I was put under $15,000 cash-only bond.

A few days later I also received an ex-parte from the county my ex was in, not a summons. My new lawyer informed me that the best course of action would be to not appear for the ex-parte, and that he would work on handling the bond reduction.

Well, the next week, I was informed that my ex also did not show up for the ex-parte so it was thrown out. Now, there is still a warrant out for my arrest under $15,000 cash only. My main question is, how can that make sense? The case that that warrant was for was thrown out. Also, the judge refused a subpoena to my email provider (GMail), which was to ask for email record to prove that the email didn't come from my computer.

For now the case in my hometown is delayed until this second case is settled.

If anyone could shed some light on this or help me figure something out it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT; Also, right after I found out there was a warrant out for my arrest, my mother discovered that my ex had used my mothers checking account to purchase $214 work of merchandise from an online store. A report was filed with the local police, and this ultimately lead to a warrant being issued for my ex's arrest in her county.

And, last week, my ex called my father, and asked him for several hundred dollars, stating that she could get me out of my predicament. Naturally, he did not accept, but I was hoping these two incidences could help in my case?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">