• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrest warrant on old bad check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stev2000

I am in Georgia. I recieved a letter from a District Attorney in Alabama telling me that an outstanding warrant for my arrest has been forwarded to the Sheriff's office of a county in Alabama that I used to live in. The letter says that the warrant is for a worthless check dating back to June, 1991, which is the last month that I lived there when I was in college. I moved to start a new job in Georgia after I graduated and have not heard anything about this bad check until now. I believe that there is a statute of limitation on collection of bad debt, but is there one for arrest warrents? The letter requests that I call the Worthless Check Unit of the District Attorney's office for more information. What are my options?

S

seniorjudge

There is no such thing as a statute of limitations on warrants (to my knowledge).

If the bad check section does not want to work with you, then he only way to take care of this would be to surrender in Alabama.

Let me give you a hint: Pay (I do not mean "set up a payment plan", I mean PAY) the check and charges off without fuss; they are more interested in the dough than they are you and may give you a break.

stev2000

Thank you for your advice, seniorjudge. I want to pay my debts, I just don't want to be arrested. I didn't avoid payment on purpose and I have no idea what the check was for originally. I never bought anything of value back then because I was always broke in college, so I doubt it's for much money (I understand that there are probably fines, etc on top of it). But I sure don't want an arrest record now for bouncing a check at the Tasty Freeze or whatever way back in 1991. I'll call the Worthless Check Unit at the District Attorney's office and try to work it out. Could I be arrested for this here in Georgia on a warrant that was filed in Alabama?

S

seniorjudge

"...Could I be arrested for this here in Georgia on a warrant that was filed in Alabama?..."

Yes, if it is a felony.

stev2000 said:
Thank you for your advice, seniorjudge. I want to pay my debts, I just don't want to be arrested. I didn't avoid payment on purpose and I have no idea what the check was for originally. I never bought anything of value back then because I was always broke in college, so I doubt it's for much money (I understand that there are probably fines, etc on top of it). But I sure don't want an arrest record now for bouncing a check at the Tasty Freeze or whatever way back in 1991. I'll call the Worthless Check Unit at the District Attorney's office and try to work it out. Could I be arrested for this here in Georgia on a warrant that was filed in Alabama?
The last thing you want is to find out for yourself is that an Alabama arrest warrant is still a very good warrant in Georgia. Georgia collects you, holds you in a Georgia jail, Alabama comes to get you...about twenty days later (possibly), and once arriving in Alabama jail, could sit there for a week or longer waiting for a hearing date.

Secondly: The statute of limitations will not apply in your case when you have left the state that had jurisdiction over you at the time of this alleged criminal episode. (Think about it. Someone could rob a liquor store and then cross the state line and nothing could ever be done about it? That is the reason the statute of limitations is thrown out the window in your case.)

stev2000

Florid-aise said:
The last thing you want is to find out for yourself is that an Alabama arrest warrant is still a very good warrant in Georgia. Georgia collects you, holds you in a Georgia jail, Alabama comes to get you...about twenty days later (possibly), and once arriving in Alabama jail, could sit there for a week or longer waiting for a hearing date.
Thanks for the input--guess I need to get on this right away. That sounds like a lot of time in jail for a stinkin' bounced check...however, is it true that they have free cable and workout equipment in jail? It might not be so bad!

calatty

The statute of limitations for most crimes in Alabama in 3 years. (Ala. Code 15-3-1). No Alabamba law or case law says the statute is tolled while the person is out of state. However, there is a list of crimes for which there is no statute of limitations. (Ala. Code 15-3-5). One of them is forgery, another is counterfeiting.

calatty said:
No Alabamba law or case law says the statute is tolled while the person is out of state.
Hey calatty, if this is true, this could very well validate that Alabama is a useful and valuable place on the map.

Ya think? :D

On the whole however, my curiosity is raised when our OP tells us that Alabama has contacted Georgia over this outstanding check/outstanding charge.

A letter written by an Alabama State Attorney, addressed to a Georgia address, telling the addressee that there has been an Alabama warrant forwarded to another Alabama county?

Something is just a little out of kilter here.

stev2000

Florid-aise said:
A letter written by an Alabama State Attorney, addressed to a Georgia address, telling the addressee that there has been an Alabama warrant forwarded to another Alabama county?

Something is just a little out of kilter here.

THAT's what I say! Plus, why'd they wait 14 YEARS to contact me about it?? It's not like I've been in hiding since I left college; lord knows the alumni association had no trouble finding me without me telling them where I went...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">