• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest in the workplace?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwalla

What is the name of your state? New York

I am the General Manager for a company located in New York State. This morning, several police officers entered my building, followed one of my employees and threw him against the wall. He escaped and ran through my warehouse with the police in pursuit.
He jumped off my shipping dock, the police surrounded him, beat him, cuffed him and beat him again (night sticks and kicks).

As an employer, do we have any rights as to how a person should be taken into custody in our workplace? We had police officers with unholstered guns using foul language running through our facility.

I have great respect for our members of law enforcement but what I saw today was upsetting and posed a legitimate danger to my other employees.

Are there any protocols or laws in effect that applies to situations such as this?

Thank you very much for your time.

BelizeBreeze

kwalla said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I am the General Manager for a company located in New York State. This morning, several police officers entered my building, followed one of my employees and threw him against the wall. He escaped and ran through my warehouse with the police in pursuit.
He jumped off my shipping dock, the police surrounded him, beat him, cuffed him and beat him again (night sticks and kicks).

As an employer, do we have any rights as to how a person should be taken into custody in our workplace? We had police officers with unholstered guns using foul language running through our facility.

I have great respect for our members of law enforcement but what I saw today was upsetting and posed a legitimate danger to my other employees.

Are there any protocols or laws in effect that applies to situations such as this?

Thank you very much for your time.
As an employer, a citizen or an alien you have no rights to tell the police how to perform their duties.

If you want to file a complaint then do so. But that's the ONLY right you have in this matter.

ENASNI

BelizeBreeze said:
As an employer, a citizen or an alien you have no rights to tell the police how to perform their duties.

If you want to file a complaint then do so. But that's the ONLY right you have in this matter.

Gee it is so boring around here, I almost wish something would happen with some excitement at my workplace. (minus the beating part). :eek:

BelizeBreeze

ENASNI said:
Gee it is so boring around here, I almost wish something would happen with some excitement at my workplace. (minus the beating part). :eek:
I can borrow a nightstick.

Got any ideas?????:D

Kane

You could file a grievance. Or, you could talk to the officers' superiors, or whatevever elected official is in charge of the police dept.

You could also help your employee with finding a lawyer to pursue whatever damages he might be entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">