• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested on 2 felonies and 2 misd, but only one arraignment charge as a misd?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottchiusano

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

so on one day
I was arrested

i was told by the arresting officer that it was a misdemeanor, and it got dismissed and sealed in court

however, my personal state record says taht my arresting charges includes

2 counts of a felony and 2 counts of a misdemeanor

but i was only ever arraigned of one of the misdemeanors, without a clue of the other 3 charges

the state says that "Upon fingerprint search, I do not have a criminal history with the state repository" However, upon search of sealed records, there is possible identification (s)

will anybody(colleges, grad school, employers)
ever find out about my felony arrests?

how do i respond to the question
have you ever been arrested for a felony?

can i deny it as pertinent to 160.60 NY CPL?

does the police give out arresting info?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You don't necessarily have to be told when you are arrested what all the charges are. That's what an arraignment is - formal presentation of the charges.

Alot can happen between the arrest and arraignment. Just because you were arrested on certain charges doesn't mean that the ADA will proceed on all of the charges.

HighwayMan

will anybody(colleges, grad school, employers)
ever find out about my felony arrests?
Not unless it's a law enforcement job.

how do i respond to the question
have you ever been arrested for a felony?
You shouldn't be asked that.

can i deny it as pertinent to 160.60 NY CPL?
Yes.

does the police give out arresting info?
In what context?

If you think the police are going to start broadcasting your arrest information just for the hell of it I think you're a little paranoid.

dave33

I would say whatever you can find out, so can someone else. The scrutiny in which the backround check is done is usually dictated by the job you are trying to aquire. In your situation I would certainly deny any felony arrests. goodluck.

scottchiusano

Not unless it's a law enforcement job.

You shouldn't be asked that.

Yes.

In what context?

If you think the police are going to start broadcasting your arrest information just for the hell of it I think you're a little paranoid.
well on my application for the University of Southern California
it asks have you ever been arrested for a felony

i understand that NY has laws that prohibit such questioning

and about the police giving out info, not that they would broadcast it but more like

say an employer or a recruiter goes into an precinct or Police headquarters and asks to do a background search on me

scottchiusano

You don't necessarily have to be told when you are arrested what all the charges are. That's what an arraignment is - formal presentation of the charges.

Alot can happen between the arrest and arraignment. Just because you were arrested on certain charges doesn't mean that the ADA will proceed on all of the charges.
and the arrest charges that were not arraigned are not available either right(except to law enforcement)

HighwayMan

say an employer or a recruiter goes into an precinct or Police headquarters and asks to do a background search on me
No employer is going to walk into a precinct, and especially NOT police headquarters (you mean NYC, right?), to do a background check on you. If anyone tried they would get laughed at and told to leave the building. That information is not available even if you got arrested in that particular precinct.

The police do not get involved in background checks for any entity except themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">