• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested 5 years ago for controlled substances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chloe062773

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi
5 years ago I had a large party (about 120 people). The police came due to a noise complaint and the part goers freaked out and just dropped their "stuff" and left. Being the home owner I was liable. I was arrested with the possibility of 5 felony charges. I hired an attorney who got depositions from several people there saying that they did niot see me doing any drugs, which I wasn't. Just a bad idea having people I did not know in my home.
In any event the charges were "dropped and abandoned". I never went to court, saw a jude or anything. My question is this...when I filled out my application for Fl real Estate license it asks if you have ever been found guilty of, covicted of a crime, entered a plea of no contest or had adjudication withheld. I answered no to this since the charges were dropped and nothing ever happened to me just an arrest record. I had to give my fingerprints and all for a background check to the state of Florida. They took about 3 weeks to do the check and I was approved to sit for the state test. I passed the test but have still not received the actual license. Can they deny me the license because I answered no? I answered according to the question since I never was charged with anything just arrested. Does being arested mean I had to answer yes to one of those questions or am I safe? thanks so much adn sorry for the long drawn out question!

stephenk

based on what you posted, your "no" answers were correct.

have you called the licensing board to find out how long it takes to get your license after you pass the state test?

snostar

Were the charges dropped or abandoned because you agreed to an alternative mandate by the court such as treatment or community service?

Stephenk, would that make a difference in the "adjudication withheld" part?

Chloe062773

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this but to answer your question no. I never had to to any community service or go to a treatment facility or anything like that. The atty I hired just called me and said "Hi your charges were dropped" and that was it. Case closed. I never went to court or anything like I said so am I out of the clear?

Chloe062773

Not too worried I guess!! LOL Actually,the independant testing center screwed up with my test. I passed the state exam but they never forwarded the results to the state that's why I thought maybe they saw my arrest and wanted to revoke my license. The reason why I'm back is because another coworker of mine was waiting to hear from the Real Estate Commission on his background results. When he was 17 his mother and him got in a stupid fight. Long story short he was arrested but never charged or anything. So on his application he put adjudication withheld thinking it meant he was never "judged". So the state sent him a letter asking him to explain the circumstances of the adjudication. Which really never happened. He then called and asked them about his situaton and brought up mine but he did not go into detail. He had told them a freind of his was arrested and never had to send a letter. She told him I could get my license revoked because it takes the background checks a year to come through. That is why they ask you upfront if there is anything. That way if you lie they will revoke your license. So I got worried again. But after reading your response I know I'm safe. The question never asked if you were arrested just the questions I stated in my original thread. Whew. That was a long answer to your "Where have you been for three months" Oh and by the way thanks for responding I appreciate it. So I'm clear right on those questions and based on what I told you?

Chloe062773

Stephenk
So the fact that charges were dropped will show up on my arrest record but it will not be of any concern due to the fact that I do not fall under one of the three questions they asked? I did not mean to insult you by asking if you were an atty. I just never read your profile and was curious. How much does it cost to get records expunged? One last thing, when my background check was done for my job it showed that I was arrested but it said "charges were dropped and abandoned." I know in every day speaking what that means, does it or what does that mean in legal jargon? Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

snostar

According to Florida's Public Records Law, all arrests are public record. The only way to have records pertaining to an arrest removed is to go through a legal process called "Order to Expunge" or "Order to Seal". The fee is $75.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">