• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested after 9 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shockedintn

What is the name of your state?Tennessee

I have a question. I was arrested on a warrant that is 9 years old. I was not aware that i even had a warrant for my arrest.

My question is isnt there a statue of limitations or something?
I was arrested for theft of property. The theft supposedly took place in my own apartment. I was 19 years old. I was living with my boyfriend. He was a loser and so i left one day and didnt come back home. The apartment was in my name. all the bills were in my name. Well apparently 2 days after i cut off the electric, water, phone and lease he filed a police report stating i stole some of his stuff.

i did not steal anything of his. i dont even know if he still lives in this state.

I am at so confused as to what i should do. i have court in a few months.

BelizeBreeze

shockedintn said:
What is the name of your state?Tennessee

I have a question. I was arrested on a warrant that is 9 years old. I was not aware that i even had a warrant for my arrest.

My question is isnt there a statue of limitations or something?
For a warrant the statute of limitations ends when you die.
I was arrested for theft of property. The theft supposedly took place in my own apartment. I was 19 years old. I was living with my boyfriend. He was a loser and so i left one day and didnt come back home. The apartment was in my name. all the bills were in my name. Well apparently 2 days after i cut off the electric, water, phone and lease he filed a police report stating i stole some of his stuff.
And apparently you didn't take care of this nine years ago.
i did not steal anything of his. i dont even know if he still lives in this state.
Doesn't matter. the warrant still lives in the state and that's all the police needed.
I am at so confused as to what i should do. i have court in a few months.
Well, did you ever think maybe talking to an attorney might be a first step?

shockedintn

well i did not know there was a warrant for me. I did not do anything.

so how after 9 years are they supposed to prove i took anything from my own apartment?

so what anyone can just get a warrant out on you and then after you are arrested you have to go to court to prove that you didnt do it

mycarlb

I went through something similar, only my warrant was from 1992... it was for unpaid fines ... only thing is that was granted a waiver of those fines by the judge and the probation department made a mistake... I was arrested right in front of my neighbors this past spring, and put in jail for over 18 hours... the warrant was so old that the judge had retired, and the probation department didn't have a clue who I was or why my boyfriend was at there office trying to clear it up. We had to pay over $700 just to get me out, and now I am in the process of getting that money back... I had to go and get a copy of the court minutes to prove that I wasn't required to pay the fine.

The reason they picked me up after all these years was because they had the warrant on file, but wouldn't travel outside a certain area to come and get me, and since I had just moved back into my home town - someone was going through their routine warrant searches and got a hit on my address... so BAM I was arrested... I too hadn't a clue what the hell was going on!!!

But you need to get a lawyer before you do anything else and get it taken care of... did you recently move back into the area where the warrant was sworn out of?

shockedintn

no i have always lived here. I just haven't been pulled over or anything. So i guess they just didnt come looking for me. This was the first time i ever got pulled over by the police since the warrant was taken out

I just cant believe this. yes my arresting officer said that they dont do things this way anymore.

Kane

For a warrant the statute of limitations ends when you die.
Not necessarily. Lots of dead people have warrants.

I once saw a lawyer try to convince the state his client was dead. They wouldn't go for it, and wanted proof. He said he wasn't getting paid anymore, and left.

I have no doubt that dead guy's case is still pending, and he's probably in trouble for missing court, too.

Kane

Shock, you don't have to prove anything. It's up to the state to prove you did something. After nine years, I don't think they'll be able to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">