• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested in Candada 5 years ago, should I go back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baum79

I was arrested in Canada 5 years ago for attempting to cross the border with a firearm. I did not return to Canada to appear in court, and I have not been back since then. After 5 years would there still be a warrant out for my arrest for failure to appear in court? Is there a statute of limitations on this crime? If I were to try to go back to Canada, would they arrest me on the spot or simply deny my admittance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R

Raist1123

Canada

Not a lawyer here, But... I Live in up-state New-York and I travel to Montreal at least once a year.. You will probably get in no problem, and you have a 50-50 chance of getting Id'ed on the way out... I would assume they would still arrest you, unless f course there is a Statue of Limitations there on what ya did..
But as far as getting in, I have never been ID'ed getting in... My advice is to call up there, and see if you have a warrant for ya.. Maybe they will tell ya maybe they won't, but that is my advice.. Good Luck :)

H

HelpUsPlease

I wouldn't go back if I were you. I have warrants in several states and just avoid them. Why do you feel some need to go back there?

HomeGuru

HelpUsPlease said:
I wouldn't go back if I were you. I have warrants in several states and just avoid them. Why do you feel some need to go back there?
**A: yes, just follow the advice from a drug criminal.

H

HelpUsPlease

Are you saying that he should go back there? That would be awfully stupid when he has warrants! I avoid places where I have warrants like the plague. You can't run a business from a jail cell.

Oh, and I am not a criminal I have warrants, but not a single conviction. And the warrants are misdemeanors....obviously .... or they would have been able to extradite by now.

HomeGuru

HelpUsPlease said:
Are you saying that he should go back there? That would be awfully stupid when he has warrants! I avoid places where I have warrants like the plague. You can't run a business from a jail cell.

Oh, and I am not a criminal I have warrants, but not a single conviction. And the warrants are misdemeanors....obviously .... or they would have been able to extradite by now.
**A: you are hilarious.

H

HelpUsPlease

I'm not trying to be funny, just give him some advice. I mean, technically I am a fugitive (not a criminal) even though I believe that I could beat each one of the charges if I appeared and mounted a vigorous defense.

I just figure what's the point of wasting all that money on lawyers that you'll never get back???

L

loocpoc

Well unless an International Warrant is issued for your arrest, you will not be arrested in the states, unless picked up by someone else and they contact the FEDS and the Canadians are willing to extirdite (which I doubt they will), you really dont have too much to worry about in the states. Now if you want to go back into Canada and your name is run thru their version of NCIC, then you might have a problem.

As for "helpmeIamadumbass", yes you are a criminal. Its called Flight from justice and when you are caught, I hope you are shot like the dirty animal that you are.

H

HelpUsPlease

They issued the warrants long after I left the state. Pathetic. Anyway, like I said there isn't jack poop they can do about a misdemeanor warrant so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I actually laugh about it ... sometimes I'll call up the PD's that have the warrants and ask if they are still valid, when they say yes I burst into laughter and say "when are you going to forget about this garbage?" That really gets their goat!!!

Son of Slam

HelpUsPlease said:
... sometimes I'll call up the PD's that have the warrants and ask if they are still valid, ...and say "when are you going to forget about this garbage?" That really gets their goat!!!

***Believe me, it doesn't "get their goat." If anyone can laugh it's them because you just wasted your dime to find out that they never have to put up with you again. Those warrants will go away only after you are booked or they know you are dead.

H

HelpUsPlease

You should hear them on the telephone!! They get really furious at the thought I can just happily go along living my life while they have pieces of garbage that they can't do a damned thing with.

H

HelpUsPlease

I'm not going to just leave because a few people decided to get nasty with me for no reason whatsoever. I can't tell you how much I've learned from reading these boards and applying other people's situations to my own.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">