• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested? Charges dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeanieduchemin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question about what happens when you are arrested for assulting two secuity guards and supposely a police officer. I have a brother who went to Nevada and claims that he was very drunk and assulted the guards and 1 officer. He said that he was detained all night and was let go in the morning because they felt sorry for him. He claims that the told him that he has to go to AA. It sounds very fishy to me and my brother has a habit of not telling the truth. So my question is: Can you just be let out of jail or do you have to go before a judge? Is there a paper trail when you spend the night in jail? I want to confront my brother...but need to know some facts first. I know it's a pretty stupid question....I have no clue how it all works. Thanks...

xylene

Your brother is telling fibs.

The police do not have lattidue to just release someone arrested for assault esp assault on an police officer.

CdwJava

I have a brother who went to Nevada and claims that he was very drunk and assulted the guards and 1 officer. He said that he was detained all night and was let go in the morning because they felt sorry for him.
Uh ... no. They did not release him because they felt sorry for him. Assuming he is an adult either no charges were filed at the time, he was released with a date for a future court appearance, or he is lying about his adventures in NV.

So my question is: Can you just be let out of jail or do you have to go before a judge? Is there a paper trail when you spend the night in jail?
Yes, one can be detained and released without charges pending. Even then, there would be a paper trail with the agency and the jail.

I want to confront my brother...but need to know some facts first. I know it's a pretty stupid question....I have no clue how it all works. Thanks...
You can always call the agency he was alleged detained/arrested by and ask them. Any record of such a detention or an arrest should be public record.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">