• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested didn't know about warant, now charged with fugitive of Justice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressed.mom2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN & KY

Husband was arrested today, for a warrant from another state, that he did not know he had. If he had known he would of turned himself in. We had actually been calling the city, it is from for the last 6 months, to check on this. Was always told there was not one. :mad: It is for BACK child support. my question is HOW can they charge him with fugitive of Justice, when he did not know about this. And what will happen when he goes before the judge Friday. I know he could be extradited back to KY, to face the child support issue, not a problem, we will work that out, it is BACK child support on a child he relinquished his rights too.

Just FYI
We moved to this state, because it is where i am from, not to HIDE, (from his EX. Although she is a nut) the courts are accusing him of running when we moved because we wanted to be closer to my family, and for better jobs.

I am stressed out and pregnant and DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

So if ANY one can give me some insight as to what i am looking at dealing with, i would greatly appreciate it! TIA

Isis1

So mom's the nut, but dad is the one that hasn't been paying child support AND he abandoned his child. Sounds like you found a winner to have children with.

When dad gave up his rights, did he consult with an attorney? Was the child adopted by mom's spouse?

To get to the point of a warrant, you'd have to be REALLY far behind in child support. Usually after you've reached a hundred thousand in arrears.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that this OP will eventually be back asking for help in collecting support...

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN & KY

Husband was arrested today, for a warrant from another state, that he did not know he had. If he had known he would of turned himself in. We had actually been calling the city, it is from for the last 6 months, to check on this. Was always told there was not one. :mad: It is for BACK child support. my question is HOW can they charge him with fugitive of Justice, when he did not know about this. And what will happen when he goes before the judge Friday. I know he could be extradited back to KY, to face the child support issue, not a problem, we will work that out, it is BACK child support on a child he relinquished his rights too.

Just FYI
We moved to this state, because it is where i am from, not to HIDE, (from his EX. Although she is a nut) the courts are accusing him of running when we moved because we wanted to be closer to my family, and for better jobs.

I am stressed out and pregnant and DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

So if ANY one can give me some insight as to what i am looking at dealing with, i would greatly appreciate it! TIA
So why has he not paid his back support?

You think you are stressed now, wait until you have to chase him for support for another child.

His knowledge of the existence of a warrant has no bearing on anything at this stage.

There are charging documents and a local case opened in a "fugitive" case - and an arraignment type proceeding (of a different nature than a typical case) but that is because they beginning to go through the extradition process.. Its not like a separate case with punishment in your state - but rather its it is part of the hoops to ensue due process in extraditing him.

He can waive his rights in that regard as well and it will go quicker (obviously he may not want to do this or his lawyer may advise differently). In the end, it will likely boil down to how bad the other state wants him and/or how much of a fight your husband puts up as to how quickly this gets handled. The other state has options as well, such as not wanting to pay to bring him back so they just tell the other state to cite him for a court date.

stressed.mom2

For the one that said I picked a real winner to have kids with. Suck IT! He is a fabulous father, and would give his kids the world if he could! He relinquished his rights because the mother would not allow us visitation, and as far as i knew the step father was adopting the child! He wasn't paying the support because he thought it had been taken care of, turns out the lawyer screwed us! go figure! Well anyways, Thanks for the help, to the one that was helpful, and to the others, I'll pray for you to stop being a judgemental douche!

And I WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CHASING HIM DOWN! I"M NOT A ****** LIKE THE EX, I ASKED FOR ADVICE. NOT TO BE JUDGED, AND IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY THEY CAN FILE A WARRANT IF YOU ARE 2 MONTHS BEHIND! AND THE AMOUNT IS ABOUT 2300.00 FOR MY HUSBANDS CASE.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">