• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for drunk and disorderly, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mojocopter

I got arrested for violation of Penal Code 647(f) in Hermosa Beach, CA, along with a citation for an open beverage and intoxicated in public. I feel that i was not in the wrong and that the cops arrested me because i would not immediately sign the citation. The drink i was holding was not mine - i was still holding it after i picked it up off a bench to sit on. I spent that night in jail.

I was planning to write a letter explaining the situation to the judge before my courtdate, but i also wanted to seek legal advice. I absolutely do not want this misdemeanor to appear on my record.

Thanks.

JETX

"I feel that i was not in the wrong and that the cops arrested me because i would not immediately sign the citation."
*** I am sure that they officer(s) explained to you that the signing of the citation is "not an admission of guilty, only your agreement to show up at the time/date shown on the citation". You refused to agree. They arrested you to make sure that you are available. Your arrest is your fault.

"The drink i was holding was not mine - i was still holding it after i picked it up off a bench to sit on."
*** Yeah, right!!! And guess what, you get the opportunity to present that 'defense' to the court when called. Actually, your holding the drink is only ONE of the issues you have. Your post says that you are cited for PC 647(f) which is 'public intoxication'. So, you were drunk.... but the drink in your hand wasn't yours. Right!!!

"I spent that night in jail."
*** See above.

"I was planning to write a letter explaining the situation to the judge before my courtdate"
*** Why?? This isn't high school where you right an apology to the teacher and hope that you get leniency. The court would likely never even read your 'letter'. The opportunity for you to tell your story is at the hearing.

"I absolutely do not want this misdemeanor to appear on my record. "
*** Gee, should have thought of that BEFORE you got intoxicated in public, huh??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">