• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for no shirt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ilikebikes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

Last night I was walking with some friends about a block from home without a shirt on a public sidewalk. I rarely wear shirts in outdoor public places and have had police officers joke with me about it in the past. This time, a police officer told me I needed to put a shirt on. I thought he was joking (this happens a lot) and kept walking. He ran up, stopped me, and reiterated. I didn't have a shirt with me, but was given one by someone else. I began to put the shirt on. The shirt was a little too small and was taking me a bit longer to put on than it would have otherwise. The officer told me I needed to hurry up. Once I had it most of the way on, and was about to pull the last part over my stomach (it took maybe 10-20 seconds total), he instructed me to put my hands behind my back and handcuffed me. I was told I was being arrested for indecent exposure. I was driven to the station by a different officer and upon arrival at the station I was told that I was being cited for drunk in public and I could pay the fine, pay a bail bondsman, or go to jail. I was obviously not drunk, but had been surrounded by drunk people as the bars had just closed and everyone was leaving.

Is there anything I can do other than pay the fine or pay a lawyer? I am a poor college student, and I don't see how I have done anything wrong or broken any laws.

Ilikebikes

Yep. You can show up in court at the time/date scheduled, present your defense to the court and hope to be acquitted.

Curious... are you male??
Yes, I am male.

It is not really possible to be acquitted in the courts here without paying for a lawyer. A few years back I was given a citation for something which I had proof that I could not possibly have done (security tape from my job, statements from my employer and the employees working that night, and the cop changed his story at least twice while I was questioning him). A friend who practices law (out of town) guided me through everything I needed to do, and I represented myself. When I told him I was found guilty, he was flabbergasted. He spoke with other lawyers in the area and found that in Starkville, you almost always either pay the fine or pay a lawyer. It is nearly impossible to be acquitted especially without hard evidence (I obviously have none for this particular situation, although for my previous experience I did and was still found guilty).

I just think there must be something I can do. I feel completely taken advantage of.

I also was not given any paperwork or information. I signed a form stating I would pay the bondsman his fee today and they basically kicked me out of the station. The bondsman said he would call me today around noon or one to collect the fee, but it is now almost 3 and I haven't heard anything nor do I know his name/information. I will be going up to the station tomorrow.

tranquility

Before she died from breast cancer, my wife had a double mastectomy. We would often joke and wonder, if she went through the day without a top, could she be arrested?

I never found good precident.

Gray area. I'd think no, but, you never know what the Man will decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">