• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for not having car insurance BUT I DID!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hughess47

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alabama
I work in the state of Georgia, doing construction work.
At approx. 5:30 AM, on my way to work , i was stopped by a police officer, he stated i rolled thru a stop sign, but actually i did come to a complete stop. This was the initial reason for stopping me. I was instructed to give him my license and proof of insurance which i did. He went back to his car and upon return he told me i didn't have insurance, which i know i did, i had insurance cards on this vehicle, along with a second vehicle showing i did have insurance. He told me he called my insurance company, which are open 24/7 and they told HIM i didn't have insurance on this vehicle. I was then told i was being arrested for not having insurance, had the handcuffs put on me, i was not read any kind of rights whatsoever, just told i was being arrested for not having insurance. :confused: I was taken to jail and put into a holding cell. A person came to my holding cell and told me she was going to call my insurance company when they opened but i told her they were open 24/7 and she just walked away. I was in this holding cell from approx. 6:00 AM to 9:30 AM before they called my insurance company and they WERE told i did have insurance on this vehicle. My car was towed when i was arrested. When they finally called my insurance company and told i had insurance, they told me i was being released. First they told me i would have a bond, then when i was released they dropped the bond and i had to pay the running a stop sign ticket and for the tow bill of my car. I called my insurance company when i got home and they told me that NOONE called them at 5:30 AM and inquired about my insurance but they did call at 9:29 AM and they told them i did have insurance, i have been using this company for insurance for the past 6 years. This is the first time i have EVER been arrested for anything at all and i told the police officer the total truth and i thought i had proof of my insurance, given to me by my insurance company. I have never been so embarresed in all my life! I sat in jail for 3 1/2 hours for no reason whatsoever. I didn't even receive any tickets until i was sitting in jail when they were brought to me for me to sign them, now i have to go to a hearing for this and I HAD INSURANCE PROOF when i was stopped. :confused: Do i have a case here? Thank you for taking time to read this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">