• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for Public Drinking and supposedly resisting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fenix2785

Massachusetts

I was arrested for public drinking and supposedly resisting arrest. I did not resist arrest and I have a witness to the whole incident.

How should I go about this situation? Should I refuse to answer any questions in court and say I'd like to speak to my lawyer? He won't be present at the time. Will they arrange a later date?

Thanks for any help!

CdwJava

If the pending court date is an arraignment, you can ask for a public defender if you cannot afford counsel. However,. you may be asked for a plea of guilty or not guilty at that time ... chances are they will enter a plea of "not guilty" or put off the hearing until you can speak to an attorney.

If you have assets or can afford an attorney, consult one ASAP.

- Carl

fenix2785

Thanks. They offered me 90 days probation and I need to take an alcohol class or watch a video...something like that. They said if I did that, they'd dismiss the case. I told the judge I haven't been able to speak to my attorney since it was over the weekend, so I didn't want to make a decision without speaking to him.

They said it was fine since I have the right to an attorney and he wasn't present. They gave me a tentative date in a month to go back, if my attorney is available for that date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">