• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested then released. Waived my preliminary trial. Can I still sue the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucid

I was arrested for something I didn't do. I had a $50,000 bond. Two months later I was released from court with an apology and $0 bond. I want to sue.

10 days into my incarceration I was brought to court for my preliminary hearing. I waived my preliminary hearing because I had no idea what was going on due to poor legal advice from my public defender. I was returned to jail until I appeared in front of the judge two months later.

From what I've been told if the police have probable cause they can arrest you but I don't believe they did. Let me explain. I was with a friend in a car 5 minutes before I was arrested, at this time the crime had already occurred. I left my friend and began walking down the street in (unfortunately for me)the exact same clothing combination as the REAL criminal except for my skin color. Which the original police report of the phone call clearly reads is not the same race as me. Police quickly stopped me and I immediately pulled my bandanna down and made eye contact. I talked to police calmly for 40 minutes then agreed to be placed into handcuffs because I looked "nervous" and wanted to be as cooperative as possible. I was identified by the victim while still on the street in a dark location with the victim in the back of a police car 30 feet away from me. The victim had to be brought by me twice, ten minutes in between, and clearly had issues identifying me. I was brought to the police station.

I then spoke to a detective for almost 45 minutes at the police station very calmly and politely. I assured him over and over I was innocent and he left to speak to my friend whom I mentioned earlier (now at work) who ended up getting fired from her job due to the detective showing up. After a long questioning I told the detective "I was cooperative with you and you said I could leave so I'm leaving now" and he told me forcefully to sit down or he would make me sit down. I then proceeded to leave and he physically blocked the exit of the room. It was clear the detective knew he had nothing on me and was confused as to what to do with me. I was then placed under arrest.

alright sorry for the great wall of text. I figured more details would make for more accurate responses.

What do you think? Was probable cause found? And my big question: Can I still sue the state although I waived my preliminary trial?

Really Appreciate the help guys,
Mustafa

The Occultist

Do note that should you attempt to sue the state, you have essentially a 0% chance of winning without the aid of an attorney. Since you need an attorney, my legal advice is to go sit down with a local attorney and see what insight he can offer. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a few of them. While you do this, you should also take note of how many of these attorneys would be willing to take your case on a contingency basis; this could also yield some insight as to your chances of success.

dave33

The fact that you waived your preliminary hearing should have no impact on a civil suit . The problem is, is that you do not know what his report will indicate you said. The detectives are very familiar with wrongful arrest laws and rarely leave themselves vulnerable to a lawsuit. If that situation happened to me, I would seek counsel. Be prepared to have to talk to a few different lawyers.Suing the state is difficult and the police dept. even more so. At the very least you should file grievance within the department specifically siting that detective. The detective is the only one who could have committed any wrongdoing because on your own admission you were there voluntarily until the point that he arrested you.

CdwJava

I see plenty of probable cause for an arrest. But, if you have the money to pay for an attorney, go for it. It's your money.

- Carl

lucid

I asked the forum because this occurred in West Virginia and I am a New York local who was living there at the time. I suppose there is not much of a reason for a local attorney to care about helping me since the incident occurred in West Virginia. Carl, I certainly do not have money to spend on an attorney at this time, but I'm obviously not lacking any passion since the event unfolded. The last indictment term ends in January. Until then I'll seek out the detectives report. Occiltist, Dave, Java thanks for the advice. Any future opinions greatly welcome.

-Mustafa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">