• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for Trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dancer12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I was arrested for trespassing about 3 weeks ago and have a court date sched for 8/25. I called the courts and they cannot find the ticket in the system. However I was able to look all the information (mug shot, release date etc.) online, but now there is nothing for my name. I do not know if the offense was dismissed or not and lawyers are telling me no that I need to hire them, but if I do and it WAS dropped I will have to pay them an inconvenience charge.

What I was originally planning on doing was pleading not guilty and asking for a public defender, but the lawyers also told me "no I could not do that in the city I was arrested in". I have never been arrested in my life and have no idea what I'm doing. I had no I dea I was trespassing and the police said that it was just an ordinance violation like a traffic ticket. If I plead not guilty what happens then?

Also I would just like to add that I really think it was dropped, but I still plan on showing up to court. Would like some info/advice since I dont want to hire a lawyer for no reason.

Thanks!

swalsh411

Go to your court date. If in fact it has not been dropped then plead not guilty. Then go find a lawyer. The public defender is for people who cannot afford a lawyer not for people who can but would rather not.

Dancer12

I actually cannot afford a lawyer. But I was told I could not ask for a continuance or a public defender in the city I was arrested in. A whole lot of options they gave me right... I am just wondering how this ordinance violation differs from criminal trespassing offense. The police told me this is nothing more serious than a traffic ticket, problem is I was arrested and booked and that WILL show up. I am going to go my court date regardless, plus I will be calling more attorneys for consultations. I will not be able to hire one. Praying to God this was dismissed.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">